VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read all the threads and auto data etc and all I can find is a round hole on the front of the block just down from the starter motor.At roughly TDC there is a raised bump which someone has put a tipex mark on previously.There is no aligning pointer on the casing and it looks nothing like the P shape pic in auto data.Anyone got any ideas if this is what I am looking for and if so do I assume that TDC is in the middle of the round hole?
Why the hell Audi couldn't have put a mark on the front pulley or a hole for a timing pin!!

The pics are inverted as I had to use a mirror which isn't ideal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys I have a 2001 2.5tdi auto I can’t seem to locat the TDC mark on the automatic box can anyone point me in the right direction thanks in advance

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,499 Posts
Too many http: on the link.
Try this:

Have to say, never has the rocker cover been removed from mine to change the belts!
AFAIK, only thing done was to lock the fuel pump position.

Not sure WHY you'd want to change either crankshaft or camshaft pullies....unless a problem with them.
Normally only the belts and tensioners, and the water pump are replaced.

Once the injection side is locked, cam shaft shouldn't move.
Unless putting strain on the crank shaft, that pulley shouldn't move either.

If in doubt, mark both pullies in the position they are in before removing the tensioners.
Tensioners off, belt should slip off without disturbing the settings.
Replace water pump, idler wheel and LOOSELY the tensioner.
Fit the belt, check alignment marks, and adjust the tensioner.

When done, do the same at the pump side.

Then use VCDS to check when engine is warm for the magic 55 setting, and make sure the tensioner(s) are not waving around widely. (There is often some movement....)

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,499 Posts
What are you using to measure it?

With VCDS, it will show if too advanced or retarded.
In that case, try moving the belt one tooth one way, check, and then either move another tooth, or go the other way.
How far out is it?

Common thing...too retarded, hard to start...too advanced, sounds like a Massey Ferguson 1950s tractor!

People (mechanics) who don't understand these engines, tend to use a rattle gun to loosen the pully and move that....NOT the best way to do it....very hit and miss may...and often they just rely on "sound" rather than actually measuring it with VCDS.

VCDS is the BEST, 150 quid tool, you can have for VW TDi's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts