VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, After owning a 2.5tdi caravaelle auto for a year, I decided to buy another one for my growing taxi fleet.

So I bought a 2002 lwb caravelle manual, I noticed a rattling noise from the gearbox area which went away once the clutch pedal was pressed - I thought it would be the clutch bearing or flywheel, there was also a slight squeak from the left side of the engine which I thought was the alternator belt or something simple.

I decided to buy the vehicle thinkin I would need to replace the clutch and possibly a belt, I drove it home 45 miles along the motorway achieving 90mph without too much stress, no smoke problems.

The following day I went to start it and it sounded like a box of spanners, pressing the clutch did not help, I drove it a few hundred yards it felt low on power, I parked it up turned of the engine did the oil check etc, nothing obvious was loose or hanging off, I started it again - after 10 seconds it stopped it self ! Now the engine seems to turn over but no start.

ANY HELP / ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
possibly dual mass flywheel,obviously you know where its located,these are rubber mounted and become worn and jingle and clatter.possibly this is whays wrong and im sure some engine sensor picks up from notches on flywheel also,so if flywheel is not right will be sending wrong signal at wrong time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have removed the pump belt cover that belt is intact, I am not sure how to remove the fan belt in order to access the timimng belt, do i loosen the alternator bolts or do i remove one of the pulleys?

When I try turning the crank pulley with a ratchet, it only moves 1/3 of a turn and stops, I cranked the engine with the ignition ket it and it turns continiously.......It does not look promissing ....:(

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Could still be flywheel dude. Could be cambelt too check that first.

The flyweel shoots all its springs out the side when its had enough and jams up on the side of the gearbox.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The flyweel shoots all its springs out the side when its had enough and jams up on the side of the gearbox.
I have taken off both belt covers and both the belts are intact, i cannot see any missing teeth.

I cannot turn the crank much with crank pulley bolt.....maybe 1/3 turn either way only, then its solid.

looking into the geerbox peephole the ring gear is still there, cant see anything obvious.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So would this cause the engine to shut down?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further invetigation has revealed.......

I got the engine to turn with a spanner on the crank bolt, it turns quite easily then needs much more effort before starts to turn easily again......is that the compression of each cylinder that needs the extra power to turn?

IP PUMP BELT
When I turn the crank, there is a "click" sound around the pump belt area and the pump belt looks very slack at this point, turn it a bit more and theres another "click" and the bepump belt seems to fit nice and snug.......

WHATS HAPPENING:(

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
time to call in the professionals, give jeff a call at cordwallis oxford 01895882885 they do the same r-ac club as we do at maidenhead, im sure he'll look after u

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have just bought a belt kit and water pump for my other T4, booked in for a change next Friday......bought parts from VW Cordwallis Eynsham £203 for both belts, tentioners, crank bolt, water pump.....if i return the old waterpump I get £35 back.....so not too bad for genuine parts.

I wasnt willing to pay £700 to Cordwallis for the belt change so I booked it in with an idependant for £120 plus parts.....around £300 all in.....much more afordable :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would a 2.5tdi engine from an LT van fit a 2.5tdi caravelle / transport? Are there any mods required or would it bolt straigt in?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I wasnt willing to pay £700 to Cordwallis for the belt change so I booked it in with an idependant for £120 plus parts.....around £300 all in.....much more afordable :D
My local VW dealership charged £515 inc parts for the full belt & pump change plus couple of other seals that needed doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK here is the update:-

Towed it to the garage, where the mechanic took of the rocker cover to reveal all things to be normal, so he replaced bothe belts tensioners and water pump................and it started ! no nasty noise or smoke problems. Luckily the belt just jupmed a tooth or two without causing any damage.
:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think this was lucky enough, the valves had bent or camshaft broke...would be looking at £1500:( £1500 is almost as good as a lottery at the moment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi mate,
i have just had the same happen to my 2.5tdi. started it up outside the house and all was well for a minute or two then i had an awful loud clattering sound. i revved it up and the engine just stopped. it would not start at all so i took the rocker cover off to see if the cam was intact and it was. the belts were tight too which made me think it had dropped a valve. i took the van to the local garage and they checked the timing and found it was out but not skipped a tooth. it worked out that the woodruff key on the crank pulley had sheared. they then took off the head to see if there was any damage to valves or pistons and all is well. thank god!!! just waiting for the lot to be put back together and she will be back on the road. i do hope you are as lucky with yours as i was.
Regards
Golf301T:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts