VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm looking to get a T4 and have heard great things about the 2.5TDI engines but I really like the look of the short nose body shape (pre-facelift/non multivan/caravelle). As far as I have found out the facelift happened around 1997 and the later models of T4 seem to be the only ones I'm finding listed that aren't Caravelles but also have the 2.5TDI engine. Was there never a 2.5TDI short nosed model or do I just need to keep looking? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ive got a 98 T4 LWB with the 2.5 102hp motor. Cracking engines if looked after ive now done nearly 60k with no issues at all just regular oil changes (did mine again last night) and a cambelt kit every 4 years. Get 40mpg loaded in and around wales and best so far is 742 miles to £110 diesel !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
The better looking (imo) 1200kg short nose panel van 2.5 TDI was made until production ceased in 2003.

HH

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm looking to get a T4 and have heard great things about the 2.5TDI engines but I really like the look of the short nose body shape (pre-facelift/non multivan/caravelle). As far as I have found out the facelift happened around 1997 and the later models of T4 seem to be the only ones I'm finding listed that aren't Caravelles but also have the 2.5TDI engine. Was there never a 2.5TDI short nosed model or do I just need to keep looking? Thanks!
If you're struggling to get the right one you could always buy a long nose & convert it to short nose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The better looking (imo) 1200kg short nose panel van 2.5 TDI was made until production ceased in 2003.

HH
Ahhh that’s great news! Maybe it’s just that they’re viewed as better looking by many people so I’m not seeing them because they go so quickly. I guess I just have to keep my eyes peeled for the right one to come along.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're struggling to get the right one you could always buy a long nose & convert it to short nose.
That’s a great idea, I hadn’t thought about that. With the the larger 2.5TDi do they still fit in the short noses. I assumed it was a space issue but hopefully it was just for the aesthetics.

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,232 Posts
They only made the long nose, due to needing space to put the VR6 petrol engine to suit the US market.
The 2.5 TDi is only "wider" than the 1.9, and the same size as the 2.4D as far as front/back is concerned.
And yes, the "short nose" versions DO look better than the long nose! (IMO)

You can even get a short nose version with the extra radiator for the aircon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts