VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm poised to change oil and oil filter on my 1996 T4 for the first time.
Is it tricky? Will I regret trying it?
Do I need any special tools? ( I have oil, filter and a tool to grip an oil filter )
Any hints or encouragements would be welcome.
Thanks.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
Hello and welcome,

Oil change is pretty straight forward. It's a little awkward to reach the filter but manageable with the van on ramps or axle stands.

My first tip, and don't take this the wrong way as you'll get a lot more from this great forum. But use the search. The site search is not the best but google is great at finding stuff. If you do use google then it'll probably turn up stuff like this T:

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Hello and welcome,

Oil change is pretty straight forward. It's a little awkward to reach the filter but manageable with the van on ramps or axle stands.

My first tip, and don't take this the wrong way as you'll get a lot more from this great forum. But use the search. The site search is not the best but google is great at finding stuff. If you do use google then it'll probably turn up stuff like this T:
Great link..perfectly explained procedure T: Don't forget to thank him 'scorpio'

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Top tip don't do as a garage did on mine and over tighten the fitting and removal "nut" on the filter. They broke it off which put a hole in the filter. And also took them a very very very long time to get the filter off as tools will not fit.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Garages of all people should know that twist on filters only go on hand tight...probably got the school apprentice to do it :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link druggedonions.
I see the link applies to 2.5 diesel. Is it much the same layout for my 2 litre petrol engine?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Yes everything is in more or less same place..:)

·
Registered
612 Posts
One small difference is that the oil filter on the petrol is on the front of the engine, but the procedure is essentially the same :)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You will also need a tool to undo the sump plug, I think this is a normal nut on vans, but some cars use a hex bit or a square bit, so check first. If it is a normal nut, use a 6-sided socket not a 12 sided socket to minimize the risk of rounding the sump plug.

Oil the seal on the oil filter before you put it on, only put it on hand tight.

Different types of filter wrenchs work well on different filters, personally I prefer the webbing strap or the tripod ones, the chain ones are a bit fiddly. If the filter really wont come off, hammer a screwdriver through it as close to the engine as possible (surprised nicklouse's garage didnt know about that trick!)

DO NOT start the engine without the filter on there, it makes a mess.

Fill/check the oil level with the van sat on level ground, once the filter is on and you have started the van, stop the van and recheck the level as it will have dropped due to the need to fill up the oil filter.

Dont do it when its windy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts