VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T4 2.5 2003

Yesterday it started to rain, turned the wipers on for a bit then they stopped.

Fuse blown, position 5 . changed fuse, it worked for 10-20 seconds then fuse blew. tried fuse again and it blew straight away.

I put the arm in the off position, turn ignition off replace fuse. As soon as i turn ignition on the fuse blows.

I am thinking the fault is between the fuse box and the wiper arm control mechanism on the steering column. I was going to try and disconnect the wiper arm control and see if that stops the fuse blowing, then would i be safe to assume it is the wiper arm on the column?, if it still blows then i will assume it is the cable between the fuse box and the arm control. ....... or would i be wrong.

any pointers would be much appreciated. if anyone else has had same problem, what caused it, cured it. any help at all would be much appreciated.

I am a commercial/domestic electrician so i have understanding of wires and some test equipment. I have also done alot of googling and searching on the forum here.

any thing you think might help me,

thanks in advance,

Andy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have rear wipers, barn doors.

Thanks loads Paul, thats really helpful

i have had a little look on line and found a store that sold new stalks for £30ish from t4parts r us or summit (but are currently out of stock). my pal works at motex and said tomorrow he can have a look and see if a company called febi sells them as they have ones for Fords and other common motors.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

It is possible mine could be doing the same even though its barn doors. As i have junk at the back end it is very possible the cable to the rear doors has been damaged.

Any pointers helps, it gives me somewhere to look at.

After thinking about it, the power probably goes straight to the wiper motors and the stalk controller probably just sends a control signal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today i have done some investigation.

i discovered the rear wipers are not on the same fuse.

I disconnected the control stalks, and cables that go to the front washers, replaced the fuse and it blew again.

I reconnected the control stalks/arms on the steering column. I then disconnected the plug to the wiper motor mechanism. I replaced the fuse and it did not blow.

So from this i am assuming it is the motor that has caused the problem.

I tested voltage across the plug, and then took some measurements to the plug and across the motor. I will post the results below.

So i now think i need a new motor, which was good news i found out what was wrong. Rather then leave the plug live hanging around i reconnected it to the motor. I then just for a laugh put a new fuse in to see what would happen and hopefully confirm that was the problem.

To my surprise the wipers now work. There was a brief bit of smoke from the control stalks at the steering column. I shut it off, turned it on again and all was ok. I think the smoke was mabey dust and dirt i disturbed which shorted out and had a brief smoke. The wipers work but i dont think they are 100%. When running if i turn them off they stop in the middle of the screen, rather then return to the down position. Also the intermediate setting started running continuous, but now runs as it should.

I will be sourcing new control stalk and wiper motor to replace my existing, as i do not want it to happen again. It is a big bonus it now works and that i should be able to get to work all week.

If anyone has any recommendations on where i can buy new control stalk and wiper motor it would be much appreciated.

TEST RESULTS

Plug has the colours - black,green + yellow, green, green + black, brown

Brown is - negative (which is confusing for me as an AC low voltage electrician), the other colours are all + and control the speed ( i assume)

voltage across the plug:

Brown to all other colours is 12v. brown to green+yellow is 12v only when control stalk is in position 2 (fastest) 0 at all other settings.

Measuring ohms across the motor:

Brown to green+black 1.6 ohms
brown to green 0.2 ohms
brown to green+yellow 1.7 ohms
brown to black /

green+black to green /
green+black to green+yellow 1.9 ohms
green+black to black /
green to green+yellow 1.9 ohms
green+yellow to black /

the brown to green reading of 0.2 ohms is very low, could that be the fault?

Measuring ohms from battery - negative terminal to the plug:

colour off position intermediate 1 2

black 33 ohms 32.8 ohms 33 ohms 31.7 ohms
green+yellow / / / 41.6 ohms
green 187 ohms 191.2 ohms 5 Kohms 5.9 ohms
green+black 187 ohms 191.2 ohms 33 ohms 220 ohms
brown 2 ohms 2 ohms 2 ohms 2 ohms

i guess the reading is going through the lamps and any other equipment on the van, but shows the difference when the control stalk is in different positions. Brown is lowest as that is - (negative). - to green reading of 5.9 ohms is low, wonder if that is a fault?

any views ideas and opinions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been on ebay and have seen windscreen motor is less than £30 for a new one which is good news.

holding out till tomorrow as my friend works at Motex and they deal with Febi. I always prefer a local shop if i can, if the price is similar.

Just need to find the control stalk for a similar price.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had the same problem, but had been getting the smoke from the stalk for a while. Turned oput that grease from the steering wheel bearing had leached onto the stalk and was causing a short. I cleaned it all up and has been fine ever since.

When I looked the replacement stalks were cheap enough but didn't have the button for the rear wiper. These were a fortune.

Hope this helps

John

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've been blowing fuses for a while, replaced the stalk with a secondhand one and has been fine since.
Although yesterday i did get smoke comiong up from the column, but it didn't blow the fuse.
Will take it apart and give it a good clean with electrical solvent cleaner when i get a chance. T:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a new febi motor from my buddy at motex who did a staff discount special and got it for £15.

testing the new motor showed the old one did have some low readings

new one tested

brown to black 0 ohms
brown to green yellow 2.26 ohms
brown to green 0.88 ohms
brown to green black 5.2 ohms

green black to black 0 ohms
green black to green yellow 4.97 ohms
green black to green 6.3 ohms

green to green and yellow 2.68 ohms

on the new motor the results to the green terminal were a lot higher, so i think the low results to the green terminal on the old motor showed the problem.

there was also another problem with the motor, the case had an oval shape with a screw each side. the oval shape held it off the bulk head. i had to cut one side off the case to get it to fit. On ebay one seller had a new febi motor with a round casing shape which was like my original but for £30 new. Had i known i would have got the proper one. But the febi with the oval shape case for £15 was a good deal

the new motor fixed the problem of the wiper returning back to down position when turned off. Though it worked, the stalk did not feel 100%

i had also bought a new OEM indicator stalk from ebay for £25 delivered. I also got a new washer wiper stalk with the rear washer button from a brakers £35 delivered. I saw an advert for a breakers selling the model without the button on ebay. I phoned them and had the correct one with the button sent out.

With the new motor and new stalks it all works as it should.

As my van is a work horse (and only vehicle) its better for me to spend a little to have it working properly before winter. If it breaks down in winter and i have to wait for parts i can lose out on a few days money.

So if you have a similer problem , testing the motor with a multimeter could help diagnose the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts