VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all

Is it quite simple changing the hydraulic tappets on a 2.4 5 pot suppose the camshaft has to come out or am I wrong hopefully this will stop the rattling noise from engine !!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
type in hydraulic tappets check on youtube it will explain all
Did that couldn't see anything bout how to change on t4 did see a clip of a t4 running with the same noise as mine so is tappets off to shop tomoz to get set of tappets I thinks prob get cam belt done to

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Does the rattling go away when you pump the brake pedal?? If it does its your vaccum pump not the tappets. If it does need tappets you are best to do it properly and replace the camshaft as well because they wear together, you will have to remove it anyway T:T:T:

AW Engineering is the best place to get a cam and lifter kit for your engine, they are cheap as chips and only sell good stuff T:T:T:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the rattling go away when you pump the brake pedal?? If it does its your vaccum pump not the tappets. If it does need tappets you are best to do it properly and replace the camshaft as well because they wear together, you will have to remove it anyway T:T:T:
Done all the usual mate vac pump and push rod exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets about 2 engine flushs with castrol 10/40 oil fuel injector cleaners etc does sound like tappets so hopefully this will be it it's the only thing left and it annoys me vw mechs say leave it but I can't sounds horriable does very inertmittantly go away when engine been on a long run sounds lovely then might also be oil pick up in sump bit blocked

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Done all the usual mate vac pump and push rod exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets about 2 engine flushs with castrol 10/40 oil fuel injector cleaners etc does sound like tappets so hopefully this will be it it's the only thing left and it annoys me vw mechs say leave it but I can't sounds horriable does very inertmittantly go away when engine been on a long run sounds lovely then might also be oil pick up in sump bit blocked
Just a thought bud T:T: It could be your pickup in the sump clogged but itcould also be the oil pump itself. Have you had a compression test done and have you got an oil pressure guage fitted??

I'm in a similar situation with my van but its my only transport but i cant tear into it until i have my 2nd work mobile then it will be all systems go for a rework.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought bud T:T: It could be your pickup in the sump clogged but itcould also be the oil pump itself. Have you had a compression test done and have you got an oil pressure guage fitted??

I'm in a similar situation with my van but its my only transport but i cant tear into it until i have my 2nd work mobile then it will be all systems go for a rework.
Same here it's finding the time to do this repair it's the way the vw techs say don't worry bout it they all do that suppose they mean they all do that and it's costs bloody loads to sort but it needs to be done so on I go T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
IMHO the 2.5 isn't a tdi and you will get rattles and diesel knock. Its the nature of the beast! Whats the timing like?? Might be worth getting it set properly with a dial gauge when you get the belts done, you will be surprised what a difference it can make.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not that sort of rattle mate not that pinking type noise heard that loads before it's def a tappet type noise from gearbox end of head it's seems to come from inlet also maybe injector faults go on and on with t4s don't they lol but still love it and it always gets the looks and how much u want for that lol

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mine has a loud tappet noise, had the rocker box off and
it al seems fine, mate of mines had a look an he reckons it's just the
timing out so that's my next step have new belt and pulley
just waiting for a good mechanic to help/fit it. If there's any
spanner handy T4 owners in bournemoth that can help I can
pay £££ or swap for plumbing & heating work, anyway losing
the thread a bit I would check your timing 1st bud
pete

·
Registered
116 Posts
yeh , it covers the basic principles , once you understand the basic priciples of a diesel engine things are straight forward.

·
Registered
131 Posts
just a thought, is your oil thinning as if it is wont lift tappets as well as it should and the access hole in the tappets could be blocked also, this and a oil pressure test could be a cheap check before ripping the cam out.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts