VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, firstly great forum! Long time reader, first time poster.

So I have a VW T4 Transporter '98 Petrol. When trying to start it wont catch.

I sprayed a little starter fuel into the air pipe and that started up 1st time but quickly died. I then went to the fuel filter and saw fuel was coming in and out. I then checked the fuel line going into the engine and there was nothing.

I checked the relays (by feeling them click when I turned the van on) and all seemed ok.
I pulled up the seats and got into the fuel pump, I couldn't hear any noise from that. So I checked to see if any voltage was running to that with a multimeter and there was something (I can't remember the exact number.)

So I pulled out the pump to take a look. I was pretty sure it was a dud so I put 12v through it, to my surprise it jumped to life and spat out some fuel. Lucky nothing exploded... So now I'm back to square one and can't work out what's next to check? Is there a better way to test a fuel pump?

The van used to start, second time every time! Never had a problem driving. Then one day it wouldn't start, after a drive into the city. I remained persistent - 2 hours later he started up and drove home fine, never to start again.

I've posted it in electrical, but really I'm clueless...!
Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks marine63! I'll be sure to check them but do you think they would affect fuel going into the engine?

·
Registered
523 Posts
No, but a blocked fuel filter might. Is it injection or carb ? Take your fuel line off before the filter and get someone to turn the engine over and see if any fuel comes out of the pipe, If it does repeat the operation with the pipe on the filter and the outlet off. This may give you the answer to your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mariene63! I've checked the filter and she seems fine. There was fuel either side when taking the hoses off so I'll take that as a pretty good sign that the problem started somewhere else.

I've had some new behaviour - So I tried to check the voltage again going to the pump to find out exactly how much power it's getting. (since it works out of the van but not inside.) I had charged the battery to full and within 3 attempts at starting the ignition the battery had gone down to 12.6 V and wouldn't turn the engine over anymore?

This seems extraordinarily quick? Does anyone what might drain the battery like that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
Sounds like an immobiliser issue or the dreaded grey/white wire to the Digifant Control unit. Read threads on 2.5 TDI engine not starting for trouble shooting this problem. Also check relays in positions 3 and 12 on the fuse plate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers upspex! You were spot on.

I finally received a diagnostics cable today. 5 mins later I had the error code "17978 (P1570) Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer" with 3 airbag ones... Jeeez that felt good!

I've tried hooking up a new battery to make sure it's not voltage, no luck.
I have got two keys, ones just solid metal and one's got plastic casing. I've read around and a common problem seems to be the keys and remembering them?! I tried shortening the battery terminals (without power) but that didn't do anything... (Is that a real thing? Worth a shot...)

Are there any other common problems?

I'll update here when I've found more.
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE!
All sorted. The problem was the fuel regulator. (after clearing the immobiliser faults they never came back...) After market one fitted and she's off again.

I wanted to make sure I put the solution up here for anyone else trying to find it. The tricky part is that this problem doesn't fire off any error codes so it's a tricky diagnosis. If you're reading - good luck! Keep going!

Cheers everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts