VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions?

My 2002 T4 has started to struggle in 1st and 2nd gear, especially up hills and when first driving. However, if driving along straight, it will then sort of kick in and sort itself out most of the time. Any ideas what could be the issue? I'm don't have any mechanic skills, to be honest - but if its something I could try and sort myself, and it's relatively simple, then perhaps I could try. If not, happy to take to somewhere locally (in Plymouth - so any recommendation for mechanics out here?)

Cheers and great forum!

Al

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,516 Posts
Engine type?
Have you connected your VCDS system to read fault codes (if you don't have VCDS...shame on you!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is a 2.5 turbo.
I am new to VW T4s - but looks like I need to get myself a VCDS system then!
Thanks for getting back to me!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,516 Posts
Cheap, old, laptop (even running Windows XP), 50 quid on ebay, OBDII cable, tenner, FREE VCDS Lite download ( + Registered) $99.
RossTech website for info.

The BEST tool you will ever buy for a 2.5TDi.
Shows all fault codes, can clear 99% of them, and once registered, allows you to do your own timing.
Mine lives in the van, under a back seat (OK..had to buy a 12v adaptor for it as the battery lasts 5 mins!), but I never go anywhere without it.

One easy check is to remove the cable to the MAF unit (LH side, connected to air-box) and see if the van is better or worse.
If better, you've found a VERY common problem!
Don't buy a cheap ebay one....expect to pay £100+ for the genuine article.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts