VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a T4 when I get home in December and originally wanted a SWB but I think a LWB would be better for space as I will be using it to commute my MX bike to races and intend to convery the back end for a little camping as well.

Im not familiar with the engines and see a few 2.4s about. Are they thirsty beasts? Seen a few mentioning 30mpg+ and not moaning, compared to the 1.9TD engine are these reliable engines?

Pros/Cons of both please i will continues reading about to gather more info, also see a few running veg oil on the 2.4s? This common and relatively easy to do?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think most would agree the 2.4 is the most uncomplicated and reliable engine, and LWB is the way to go,
fuel economy is how you drive it, but 30mpg is the norm, as for layout in the back research it! there are many different ways to the layout, good luck:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think LWB it is may have to get the Mrs to measure the drive at home to see if it will go on there.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
same it think.

you will have to be quite creative to do a conversion and fit in a MC.

a mate had a SWB mutti seat Velle and used to take out the seats from one side so that the track bike would fit and there were still seats for 4ish.

a bike takes up a lot of room and then you need your tiedown points and space for the straps.

LWB or SWB i dont feel will help much either way, other than there is more space for stuff.

good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just planning on boarding it and carpeting it with a stainless section on the deck under the bike. When not in use for MX I will have a setup that fits in/out for the camping, thats the plan anyway. Will see how it develops may end up converting it fully and fit a towbar and get a trailer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I get low 40s mpg out of 1.9td swb but its pretty slow (doesn't really bother me)

Dunno what a LWB would be like with a 1.9td.

Have you thought about 1 of those racks to take a MX bike on the back? looks like a beefed up cycle rack.

Stu

·
Registered
779 Posts
Re-mapping?
Not sure what you can re-map on a 2.4?

As for fuel economy I think clean injectors account for a lot of mpg gains, but with a light right foot & fully loaded with 6 on board & loads of luggage I get a regular 36mpg between Bristol & Poole.

They are simple but don't forget there also old, anything perishable may need attention, injector seals, calliper seals, bottom pulley rubber etc, I was a bit disheartened the 1st 6 months of owning mine but 2 years on & having (hopefully) done most of the costly bits I love the 2.4.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Adding to the above post highlighting a great point, any T4 is now old and setting aside a little money and more importantly patience to deal with small niggles/problems that will arise on old vehicles is important whatever your choice of engine and van length.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments keep them coming, Im no stranger to older vehicles I have a strong connection with the Mk2 Honda CRX owned 11 of them and turbo charged a few. Moving forward in life with a family has made keeping the obsession with restoring them etc unpractical

A van however can satisfy my desire to spend hours on my back tinkering getting rust in my eyes and keep me busy, will also get me to races and double up as a family wagon.

What amazes me is the mileage of alot of the VW vans and how the value is still so high!

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Thanks for the comments keep them coming, Im no stranger to older vehicles I have a strong connection with the Mk2 Honda CRX owned 11 of them and turbo charged a few. Moving forward in life with a family has made keeping the obsession with restoring them etc unpractical

A van however can satisfy my desire to spend hours on my back tinkering getting rust in my eyes and keep me busy, will also get me to races and double up as a family wagon.

What amazes me is the mileage of alot of the VW vans and how the value is still so high!
Milage is nothing they are not cars they have detuned engines that will run and run (ok the ABL can throw a wobbly crank pully)

I am over 250000 on my 2.4d

·
Registered
377 Posts
As its only a bike you want to transport I would just trailer it tbh mate.

That'll extend your options in terms of what van you could buy. A 'nice' LWB is always one worth waiting for but sometimes the wait can be long.

I've had a 1.9td a few times and a couple of 2.5's.

Best 1.9 I ever had was once with a full re-build. As you might expect it was so nice and smooth although still rather sluggish on a hill with a load. Towed a jet ski with that with no issues.

I changed over the a 2.5 when I went into a LWB and tbh although they cost more to maintain and sort and can potentially have more issues I was prepared for this and had funds ready to basically replace/refresh practically everything and the end result is a van that is comfy, will cruise nice on the m-way and doesn't feel strained on a full load. Out of all the vans I have had its the best on fuel as well giving me 750-770 on a FULL tank so I figure the extra on engine etc is balanced out over time by the fuel economy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why do the 2.5s cost more to maintain and have potentially have more issues? I would have thought without the turbo and with a larger capacity they would be easier to maintain and less issues all round..

Trailer is looking like the way to go and refit the back of the van for comfort instead of practicality for the bike. Cheers for the feedback look forward to more info. T:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to add I will be doing all engine work and servicing myself, quite handy with spanners and enjoy doing all my own work much more satisfying and reassuring to know its been done right.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Why do the 2.5s cost more to maintain and have potentially have more issues? I would have thought without the turbo and with a larger capacity they would be easier to maintain and less issues all round..

Trailer is looking like the way to go and refit the back of the van for comfort instead of practicality for the bike. Cheers for the feedback look forward to more info. T:
the 2.5 are turbo only on the Diesel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts