VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone uprated the bolts on their T4 AJT Diff?
I need to fit the Sachs SRE clutch kit after getting carried away doing power mods 馃槄. Seems like a good idea to sort this out at the same time.
Overkill? Necessary?
I鈥檝e heard it can be difficult to remove a diff to replace the bolts (not a VW mechanic).
Personal experience advice really welcomed.

Registered
Anyone uprated the bolts on their T4 AJT Diff?
I need to fit the Sachs SRE clutch kit after getting carried away doing power mods 馃槄. Seems like a good idea to sort this out at the same time.
Overkill? Necessary?
I鈥檝e heard it can be difficult to remove a diff to replace the bolts (not a VW mechanic).
Personal experience advice really welcomed.

You should be fine with the 02b box as is. I'm sure it's the 02g box that has a problem with the diff bolts shearing. Do a search on here by using Google. Put your question in and add "VW t4 forum" afterwards. The forum has been upgraded lately so they may have improved the search function on here but it used to be pants.

Premium Member
That's not right mate:

You should be fine with the 02b box as is. I'm sure it's the 02g box that has a problem with the diff bolts shearing.
The 02B/ 88bhp AJT gearbox is derived from the 1980s Golf 1.6 & is weak hence it's use only in the lowest power 2.5tdi. The bolt kit as mentioned by the OP is relevant to the 02B only; the stock 02B diff cover is secured by rivets which can let go with catastrophic effects. As Adamss24 correctly said on another thread: the 02B is a ticking bomb if running high power.

The 02G is fitted to the higher power vans 102/151 bhp - the most desirable (and rarest) code being EEZ.

HH

Registered
That's not right mate:

The 02B/ 88bhp AJT gearbox is derived from the 1980s Golf 1.6 & is weak hence it's use only in the lowest power 2.5tdi. The bolt kit as mentioned by the OP is relevant to the 02B only; the stock 02B diff cover is secured by rivets which can let go with catastrophic effects. As Adamss24 correctly said on another thread: the 02B is a ticking bomb if running high power.

The 02G is fitted to the higher power vans 102/151 bhp - the most desirable (and rarest) code being EEZ.

HH
I've never seen one go TBH. Yes I know about the 02G just never had a van with one, although they should have it's been pinched by the guy i bought the van off before I bought it. I'd be more worried about the dual mass.
I thought the DJZ 1.9 turbo and the 2 made for the AJT were beefed up from the 02A's of the golf. Maybe it's the earlier 2.4's & 1.9's before 98 were vulnerable?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts