VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a tight budget after a couple of months off the road getting some weekend mechanical TLC (decoke, pp upgrade, suspension...) I woke my '03 T4 888 135k miler up and after a few hours driving my heart sinks when the f****** altenator light appears on the dash. Done the troubleshooting has to be the alto in one form or another (I had to charge the batt before I got the I'm wondering if it got damaged during charging...)
I've been in the engine bay enough now on this T4 to understand that I face a days work and a nightmare getting it out and to a refurb man (mine has the aircon and the compressor is tight against the alto....belts, special tools, ugh!)

SO I thought the voltage regulator was worth a go, I can change it without the pain of pulling out the alto and there's a half decent chance it might be a fix (and a cheap one at that) so I looked up the part and bought one from a supplier only to find out its completely different to the one I have

see this pic below, mine is a Bosch part BR14-MO F OOM 145225 at the bottom of the pic which looks nothing remotely like the regulator I got sent

I can't seem to find this part anywhere. Can anyone help me out?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
http://store.alternatorparts.com/ib225-voltage-regulator.aspx
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-IB-225-/170718645865?hash=item27bf9fce69
looks like the one you have fitted, what voltage was your old one putting out , normally if light comes on it will be a diode down in the diode pack part of the alternator which means the alternator does not get excited properly.
if you can take the old one to alternator shop im sure they would have one available may be down as a ib225 part number
see below for a helpfull guide
http://www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T4 Altenator woe....grrrr! UPDATE Top Tip

howdy
just to let ye all know that after all your basic troubleshooting is done and you're faced with a refurb/replacement altenator its WELL WORTH a punt on changing out your voltage regulator first!! its potentially a £30 fix!

In the past and shamefully despite having some prior skill in electronics I'd always whipped out the alt and paid my 200 quid for a refurb without fully questioning or bothering to understand the device

per this thread (thanks everyone that pm'd/helped btw) I found myself in this boat but due to budget and nasty looking removal work (I have the A/C compressor) I decided to dig deeper and I'm glad I did! there's loads of support/tutorials out there on youtube on this forum and the like even for full altenator refit job so even if the regulator wasnt the issue I'd have still had it out on the bench and had a go myself in the end...

Mines a 2003 reg T4 2.5 with an AJT engine code
I made the initial mistake of not checking which alt I was dealing with per earlier in the thread and bought the wrong regulator (seems there's maybe more than 2 possibly if you have a later 2.5 T4 so check first!) - Mine is a Bosch 120A, seems to be the most common type in fact (see pic) but there's a Valeo and maybe another lower amperage too

From help/bit of googling I found out that this alt is actually used in LOADS of cars - VAG but also Volvo's and the like...
my local VW parts guy couldn't help with the p/n stamped on the old regulator but got the current p/n via Google
See the pic, the partnumber is clearly shown on the invoice docket - that's the current p/n and the one you need if doing this (in case of confusion when you're ordering off VAG tell em its off a 2003 Audi TT and they'll know it

Removal and refit of the regulator is easy -
1. disconnect the battery
2. do the work from under the van its a bit easier if access tight so remove the under scuff tray
3. pull the blue wire plug off the alt (mines blue in colour anyways)
4. just the black plastic cover of the alt (3 screws) and the 2 nuts to undo (hint use a wee mirror to see what youre doing and a stubby screwdriver and ratchet)
5. fit the new regulator, cover, reattach cables, battery and fingers xssed :)

Martin

·
Registered
17 Posts
On a tight budget after a couple of months off the road getting some weekend mechanical TLC (decoke, pp upgrade, suspension...) I woke my '03 T4 888 135k miler up and after a few hours driving my heart sinks when the f****** altenator light appears on the dash. Done the troubleshooting has to be the alto in one form or another (I had to charge the batt before I got the I'm wondering if it got damaged during charging...)
I've been in the engine bay enough now on this T4 to understand that I face a days work and a nightmare getting it out and to a refurb man (mine has the aircon and the compressor is tight against the alto....belts, special tools, ugh!)

SO I thought the voltage regulator was worth a go, I can change it without the pain of pulling out the alto and there's a half decent chance it might be a fix (and a cheap one at that) so I looked up the part and bought one from a supplier only to find out its completely different to the one I have

see this pic below, mine is a Bosch part BR14-MO F OOM 145225 at the bottom of the pic which looks nothing remotely like the regulator I got sent

I can't seem to find this part anywhere. Can anyone help me out?

thanks!
got mine from vw main dealer in poole for £47

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It is always better to buy a proper one from a reputable source. Most of the e Bay ones are rubbish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts