VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum and wise T4 folks…

My much loved T4 is reaching an age (and mileage) and I’m feeling that I ought to be doing stuff to keep her going nicely; she’s served us brilliantly for years and I’m sure we’ll never have another vehicle so just want to make sure I’m doing all the right things.

I have a non-existent budget, a bunch of worn-out tools and only a small amount of mechanical or electrical skill. I can make up for that with time and enthusiasm, though. So, considering all that, what advice would you, who know better than I do, give as to a general check, overhaul and maintenance project?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Hello Forum and wise T4 folks…

My much loved T4 is reaching an age (and mileage) and I’m feeling that I ought to be doing stuff to keep her going nicely; she’s served us brilliantly for years and I’m sure we’ll never have another vehicle so just want to make sure I’m doing all the right things.

I have a non-existent budget, a bunch of worn-out tools and only a small amount of mechanical or electrical skill. I can make up for that with time and enthusiasm, though. So, considering all that, what advice would you, who know better than I do, give as to a general check, overhaul and maintenance project?

Thanks
Age model mileage??? What has been done in the past and what has not ............. who knows where to start.

What do you feel are your priorities, and the vehicles most urgent needs :*

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Age model mileage??? What has been done in the past and what has not ............. who knows where to start.

What do you feel are your priorities, and the vehicles most urgent needs :*
Yes, it's a '97 TD with 156k miles. I did a job on the bodywork and interior fittings a few years ago and all that's okay still. Mechanically all that's happened is regular service and work when necessary, all a great expense by VW...

hmm... I guess I'm really asking 'What are the priorities?' And this is where I'm a bit stuck. The van starts and runs fine (a niggling problem with batteries charging is probably the only immediate need) but I'm kind of wanting to make sure that I do as much as I can to avoid any predictable nasties, if you see what I mean?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Had my 93-4 2,4 since July , 94 , and its on 238k ...Regular oil changes , etc , and regular spray anything oily into any , and every body cavity you can get to , underneath , suspension mounts , etc . etc . Now and again , cavities that need you to remove door panels , etc. as well ..... I get loads of spray cans from the £1 shop ...!! And when its warm enough , Waxoyl , or similar products ... If you can learn to do a few basic mechanical jobs , you wont need inflated VW dealers ...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Aside regular maintenance, you could change the gearbox oil (with VW oil), and remove and flush the radiator replacing with proper VW fluid. A good strong jetwash of the calipers too. Also inspect steering and driveshaft gaiters and any rubber hoses (for swelling). At that mileage you could also replace all the gearbox linkage bushes.
I'm sure there is more but as long as you do the scheduled maintenance and fix things as they come up you'll be fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, this is the stuff! Thank You Thank You!

Keep em coming... My Spring will be full of grazed knuckles and crawling around those mysterious places underneath! It's all good stuff and heads us towards another wonderful jaunting season, eh?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Replace brake fluid, consider rebuilding brake calipers and sliders. Biggest issue with T4s is rust, so keep on top of that. I would consider a tdi coversion at some stage.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Normal wear/tear of mechanical components is a given ...The thing that kills most older vehicles is corrosion , and its the most expensive , and intrusive part of most scrappages .. Even a simple welding job may require an internal strip-out , doubling or trebling labour costs ....

·
Registered
431 Posts
156K? A mere spring chicken!!

Check your rear springs, inspect the shocks all round for weeping and make sure that the damping is working properly.

Ball joints, drop links, suspension bushings all want looking after too!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Some good advice above. I would just stress oil changes. I do all my vehicles in June and December regardless of mileage. Do it your self and it's cheap. Oil not only lubricates but cools as well. I like the advice about spraying your crevices.....Good job the wife doesn't rust or we'd soon be divorced !

·
Registered
431 Posts
Spraying oil\wax into cavities is a good idea on good bodywork, but a word of advice. If it's rusty and looks like it may need replaced soon, replace it before spraying oil or any anywhere near it. Waxoyl burs very well indeed if you end up having to weld anywhere near it. Also, the smallest trace can make a balls up of an otherwise good paint job if you need any spraying done. It is for prevention, rather than cure.

Yours sounds like it's good so get oiling! Look at some of the Dinitrol range, it's good stuff and generally out-performs waxoyl.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some good advice above. I would just stress oil changes. I do all my vehicles in June and December regardless of mileage. Do it your self and it's cheap. Oil not only lubricates but cools as well. I like the advice about spraying your crevices.....Good job the wife doesn't rust or we'd soon be divorced !
Thanks again, that's a very welcome reminder aboit oil changes. Maybe the thing about wives and crevices we'll keep for another forum, eh?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spraying oil\wax into cavities is a good idea on good bodywork, but a word of advice. If it's rusty and looks like it may need replaced soon, replace it before spraying oil or any anywhere near it. Waxoyl burs very well indeed if you end up having to weld anywhere near it. Also, the smallest trace can make a balls up of an otherwise good paint job if you need any spraying done. It is for prevention, rather than cure.

Yours sounds like it's good so get oiling! Look at some of the Dinitrol range, it's good stuff and generally out-performs waxoyl.
Yes, I'm beginning to see, the oilling is my priority. Thank you

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Had my 93-4 2,4 since July , 94 , and its on 238k ...Regular oil changes , etc , and regular spray anything oily into any , and every body cavity you can get to , underneath , suspension mounts , etc . etc . Now and again , cavities that need you to remove door panels , etc. as well ..... I get loads of spray cans from the £1 shop ...!! And when its warm enough , Waxoyl , or similar products ... If you can learn to do a few basic mechanical jobs , you wont need inflated VW dealers ...
Top advice T:A:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Good advice, I change my oil every 3000! Not necessary I know but its cheaper to change oil than repair worn out engines T: The other thing I would add in response to an earlier reply is to be careful using power washers near hydraulic seals, CV boots etc etc because a power washer can damage them/cause water ingress then damage them if it is powerful enough.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I use Dynax UB for underbody protection and Dynax S50 for cavities - both better than waxoil IMHO. Just do a Google search to see how highly recommended they are! I get mine on-line from Opie Oils and they deliver very quickly. Every time I remove any bolt/nut I apply a smear of copper ease to make sure it can come off nicely next time - obviously don't do it if it is a locking nut :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
with regards to oil changes, use the very best oil not cheaper oils...better to change it more regularly with great oil....with regards to battery charge...do you have anything that is on all the time? eg. soemthing that is not on the ignition circuit......that automatically turns off.....that will drain the battery whilst the car is sitting? check all of those extra wires or stuff previous owner might have installed....or get a good auto electrician to go through the bus......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts