VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me the exact oil to use in these boxes. I believe the wrong oil can cause auto gearshift problems. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
VW G052 162 A2....yellow in colour T:

...welcome to the forum :ILU:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have just had my vehicle serviced including the auto box flushed and new filter etc. Now whilst it drives well it seems it doesn't like dropping into 4th too readily. Similarly it is slow kicking back from 4th to third. I have been assured that the right oil was used but I am wondering. Jim

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Check the atf..it should be yellow in colour, not red. The shift patern may be down to the way you drive and should adapt as you drive more agressively, but get them to change the oil and flush it through if they have used Dex 111. This is common in garages that are not familiar with T4s [and many that are]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It shifted fine before the service, but not having the service records or knowing the history of the vehicle I thought a service would be beneficial. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Can someone please tell me the exact oil to use in these boxes. I believe the wrong oil can cause auto gearshift problems. Thanks, Jim
You need the Esso or Mobil ATF LT71141. Same oil that VW uses for the box.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,510 Posts
4th lockup and reverse are the 1st things to go if you have the wrong fluid.

Be aware, that just changing the fluid will NOT cure it, as 1/3rd of the fluid sits in the torque converter and does not drain.
It needs either pressure flushing, or 4-5 changes to get rid of any "red-stuff".

Even so, if you've done more than a few hundred miles, the box is wrecked :eek:

Read the threads in the Engine and Gearbox section.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just went back to the service centre armed with the appropriate oil data and manager wasn't interested. He told me that he used the oil recommended on the computer but he was willing to look further and change oil if necessary. Only remain to be seen if box is fixed or not. I might have to look for a new service centre. Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picked the vehicle up. The repairer said he checked with the oil company and with an auto gearbox rebuilder and both said the oil used was correct. However he found the oil level about 300ml low so it has been topped up. Seems ok but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I understand you are in an awkward situation when the other side of the counter, but it would have helped you to know from them the actual spec [part number] of the atf used as we [T4 auto owners] have been told so many times that garages have used the "right oil" that the only way to verify that it is correct atf is to check the colour yourself...yellow good, red bad.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
To accentuate the problem I think vw endorsed the wrong red oil in the early manuals and then changed to the correct golden yellow fluid but if these repairers refer to older information they might well believe they are correct.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked him what spec oil he put in and whether he used Dex111 and he said no to it. He would only say that he used what was recommended. I suppose my only consolation is that if the gearbox goes they will have to replace it. It is just that we are heading off on a 7000km trip next week

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just spoke to a service person at a VW service centre and explained what had happened and whether a full oil change by them would fix the problem. He stated that the 4 speed auto boxes are a bit strange in that they have had some with this problem after they serviced it. He suspects warn valves in the box and that if this is the case they mightn't like new oil. Oh well I hope the oil gets old quickly :). Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having just got this vehicle I am still getting used to when the gearbox changes. If I run it up to 80k/h the box changes fine, so maybe 60k/h is just on the boarder of the box not knowing if it should be in 3rd or 4th gear. Possibly worrying over nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I, being a pensionerI: tend to drive slower so my changes have adapted to my style of driving, and 3rd to 4th happens at 32mph[51kph] so to change as you say you do, youmust be driving in a very, very sporty manner [if the gearbox is ok]....the gearbox sets itself to the style of driving of the driver.

There is a 'how to' about reseting the gearbox on the forumT:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. No I ama pensioner too so I drive conservatively. I just said it changed ok at 80k/h because I was on a road with that limit. Most around here are 60k/h limit. I will look up that thread

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there JX2MAD

I'm just wondering if you got to the bottom of this?

Did you have the oil flushed? did you end up getting a result?

Facing the exact same issue!

Just spoke to a service person at a VW service centre and explained what had happened and whether a full oil change by them would fix the problem. He stated that the 4 speed auto boxes are a bit strange in that they have had some with this problem after they serviced it. He suspects warn valves in the box and that if this is the case they mightn't like new oil. Oh well I hope the oil gets old quickly :). Jim

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,510 Posts
Hey Rach,
NO point posting in numerous threads, some of which are 4 years old!!!!
If you don't get results from a current thread, chances are either the van or the owner has "given up" (One way or the other!).
All you are doing is filling the forum with the same question..over and over again .....eventually, even someone with the patience of a saint (exclude ME!) will give up replying.
I've given you ALL the information you need...USE IT!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts