VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I recently bought a T4 caravelle 2.5 102 Auto, year 2001
The auto box is a little problematic seems to be hunting for gears and changing up when not really required, seams to prefer 3rd to 4th
at around 50mph, the previous owner said they did a oil change on the gearbox but wasn't sure what oil was used !
Would an oil and filter change help or have I got other issues ?
Any advice a great help
Thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner knew there was a problem and may have even suspected the wrong fluid may have been put in. If true, he is unable to use the “buyer beware” defence and you could ask to return of bus or payment for repair. If the wrong fluid has been put in, it needs flushing multiple times and costs hundreds of pounds. If the box needs repair or rebuild it could be more.

Search on here - there are plenty of threads on how to maintain a T4 auto box.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
As poffer just said....read through the threads/posts on the forum.
There are hundreds....one even just a few days ago that gives some information.
You'll probably find a weeks or more reading if you search!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
These boxes can be in 3 different modes and the ECU is supposed to self learn, you can soft reset the ecu by turning on ignition while holding down the throttle to the floor for approx 3 seconds then let throttle back up and start van it should then start learning again, also make sure all of your brakes are free andaren't binding as the extra drag will keep it in lower gear for longer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These boxes can be in 3 different modes and the ECU is supposed to self learn, you can soft reset the ecu by turning on ignition while holding down the throttle to the floor for approx 3 seconds then let throttle back up and start van it should then start learning again, also make sure all of your brakes are free andaren't binding as the extra drag will keep it in lower gear for longer
Many Thanks for your suggestions ,
I will try these and report back

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
the previous owner said they did a oil change on the gearbox but wasn't sure what oil was used !
If they did the oil change then they should know what oil was put in ,, if they paid to have the oil changed the the garage receipt should say what oil was used or at least should show work done, the box can be coded to stay in, sport, economy, or self learn,
Get used to driving up to speed in 3rd then back of the throttle slightly and it should drop into 4th along as your going fast enough for 4th. Easing back on the throttle you should find how little throttle you need, I would strongly recommend that you do away with the stock oil cooler, and fit a separate cooler up front in cool air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts