VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi haven't used the van for about six weeks sadly due to work load, but went to start up yesterday and nothing!
Beginning to suspect battery but after giving it some thought was wondering if im asking to much for it being sat idle for so long.
Starts first time every time when used a bit more regular, was wondering is there anything that slowly drains the battery when not in use, clock, imobiliser etc?
I jump started it yesterday and after leaving it running for about half hour and then stopping, it started without any hesitation.
Any feed back please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds fine mate longer than a couple of weeks batteries don't like being left alone especially when the weather gets colder perhaps you should think about a trickle charger to keep your batterie topped up.:eek:;)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Modern vehicles have a whole raft of things that are permanently dragging the battery down.

If you don't use the truck every day it's worth investing in a solar charger to refill the battery so as it has some proper control software.

Rhys

·
Registered
543 Posts
Rob, this used to happen to mine when i parked it up over winter,as Rhys mentioned , alarms and clocks soon draw out any power. Come spring I had to charge it for a day or two before it started the van but its best to sort out a trickle charge because batteries don't like being left uncharged, you could try a solar panel plugged in the fag lighter. I think Maplins do one but I'm sure somebody will come along and let you know for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
I've run a small 4W panel battery "maintainer" (£35), and have all my accessories rewired via a relay, and no problems last 6 months, were I tend to use weekly/fortnightly

prior to that I was always jump starting it, once a month, for years

1 - 7 of 7 Posts