VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never been that impressed with the brakes on my T4 102. After running the standard brakes for a year and getting them to the stage where I had no choice but to replace them I finally pulled my finger out and started to sort out a big brake conversion.

I'm a bit of a caliper collector, so have several different sets of multi piston calipers sat waiting to be fitted to various projects. I decided to fit a set of ATE Power kit calipers as I managed to buy 7 of them as a job lot...lol

I'm told the ATE calipers are similar in dimensions to one of the types of Porsche Brembo's, but I'm yet to confirm that.

I had some carrier brackets fabricated to suit the 345x32mm discs and had the discs modded to suit the T4 front hubs.

I had the brackets made with stand off spacers so I could fit bigger or smaller discs at a later date should I change the wheels etc.
A small cut in was made to the brackets to locate the spacers and take some of the shear load off the bolts.

Here they are bolted up to the T4 hub.

Original discs next to the new set up.

Cheeky pic of the brakes with one of the spare rims sat on top to check clearance.

I'll get them bolted up this week and get some braided hoses made up to suit. I cant wait to try them out.T:

Paul.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brackets were made on a CNC mill so not exactly simple, but not rocket science either. It was just a matter of measuring it all umpteen times before committing it to metal.
I stuck with steel rather than Aluminium due to it being a heavy van as I wasn't sure about the stress calcs for Alu?? Better safe than sorry.:D

Paul.

·
Super Moderator
9,033 Posts
If you have a spare pair for the right price then Iam looking :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update.

Only got a small amount done to the bus. The mix of busy workshop and Sara's shift pattern is taking its toll on my toy time...lol

I managed to get the brakes and ball joints fitted. Just getting some braided hoses made to my spec and I'll be happy.

Test fitted with the 18's off my A4.

It should end up looking like this as the rest of my 19's are off getting painted Red.:D

As soon as the Clutch is in and it's rolling again I'll update the thread.

Paul.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brakes are all on, and as of today I've covered 850 miles on them. 400 of those miles have been on highland single track roads do they have had a real workout. No fade, great feel and really confidence inspiring. I'm really pleased.

I even managed to get red braided brake hoses....

Paul.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looks very nice ! What car were the brakes off if you don't mind me asking ? Reason I ask is i have a similar ATE Power kit which was fitted to my b5 v6 tdi audi a4 and it got clamped one day resulting in a crushed link pipe (the bottom one) and ATE don't supply parts for the kit anymore ! It's annoying driving on stock brakes especially when you're used to brakes that can stop you on a dime !

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks very nice ! What car were the brakes off if you don't mind me asking ? Reason I ask is i have a similar ATE Power kit which was fitted to my b5 v6 tdi audi a4 and it got clamped one day resulting in a crushed link pipe (the bottom one) and ATE don't supply parts for the kit anymore ! It's annoying driving on stock brakes especially when you're used to brakes that can stop you on a dime !
I bought a box containing 7 of the caliper's, one set of pads and a load of spare piston seals for £120.

It's a nightmare to get parts for them including the pads as you obviously found out. I'm having a few sets of pads made as I'll use the other caliper's on other projects I have so its worth the effort.

Did you wan't to sell your power kit as I have a B5 1.8t myself?

Paul.:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow great work, this is something i will be undertaking shortly as i have just kitted the inside out and made my own side exit stainless system today also lowered on eibachs and uprated dampers, 18's also so this kind of set up would finish the mechanical mods nicely.
T:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow great work, this is something i will be undertaking shortly as i have just kitted the inside out and made my own side exit stainless system today also lowered on eibachs and uprated dampers, 18's also so this kind of set up would finish the mechanical mods nicely.
T:
Well worth the effort. The original brakes worked fine until you asked them to haul the bus up multiple times, then the dreaded fade set in. No such issues with the new setup. The more I drive it, the happier I am with them.

Paul.:D

·
Registered
813 Posts
they look awesome - i need some.

so what did they originally fit?
would who ever cnc'd those adapter plates still have all info saved? and if would they re create some if needed?

need to find a good upgrade as std brakes are rubbish compared to a modern car

1 - 20 of 23 Posts