VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone out there help with this one?

I have a 1997 1.9TD. With the engine off, brake pedal is solid. However, with the engine running, if I apply constant (fairly hard) pressureto to the brake pedal, I can eventually push the pedal all the way to the floor. Brakes seem to work fine.

There are no hydraulic leakes and there has been no loss of fluid. Servo vacuum pump and NRV are all ok and all hoses to the servo are intact.

Having Googled till I am exhausted, I am even more confused. Some forums (non T4) suggest that with a really good servo this is normal (fluid get pushed past the master cylinder seals due to the increased pressure exerted by the servo), others suggest that it may point to the master cylinder seals breaking down.

Can anyone out there solve this mystery? Is this 'normal'?

If the master cylinder seals are on the way out, does anyone know if am I able to get a seal kit from anywhere?

·
Registered
215 Posts
yep. normal. you will overcome the spring ing the servo and fluid will by pass seals with constant hard pressure.
the MOT they turn off engine and test for pedel pressure and creep. engine running for brake test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts