VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the world of VW's and wondered if someone could advise if this van is good value or if i should avoid?

2002 T4 2.5 TDi
195k Miles
full conversion with pop top and rock and roll bed (no fridge)
leisure battery
front bench swivel seats
bumper needing respray
only 3 month MOT
Apart from bumper seems to be in good condition

£9k

My thoughts are due to the MOT length it s bit overpriced.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i have the advisories were (from Oct 2019):

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • o/s/f inner cv boot damaged slightly
  • slight play in o/s/f rack end

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,510 Posts
Personally, I think it's a little high for an 18 year old van with almost 200k on the clock.
However, if it's been serviced correctly, you can expect the same again to clock up.
What engine? (88 or 102.....if the 88 it must have had injectors changed, or you will need them.)
The 102 gearbox is also stronger....but people have clocked ridiculous mileage on the 88 box (so no real worry).
(Unless it's an auto....if not cared for correctly, RUN, don't walk away....cared for correctly...no worries.)

All the engines virtually last forever if serviced....the main problem is RUST (They ALL do it).
Check underneath for signs of new underseal.
Little rust on the arches is "normal"....if there is NONE, check very carefully that it hasn't just been "touched up".
Rusty arches (badly) often mean the inner arches are like spiders webs!
Sliding door.....same thing....check the sill underneath (and inside).
Windscreen leaks are becoming more problems these days....and require some work to fix....so check for BAD rust at the bottom corners. (Again, if they "look" perfect, see if you can spot any signs of being "fixed".)

If you think it's a serious option, offer to pay for an MOT inspection....and go from there.
Any advisories from earlier (like rusted chassis sections)?
The 2 you mention are nothing to worry about...it's RUST that kills these vans. :(

If there's a problem with the bumper.....why?
Has it just faded, or if covered in chips, maybe the rest of the front has been resprayed?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes i have the advisories were (from Oct 2019):

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • o/s/f inner cv boot damaged slightly
  • slight play in o/s/f rack end
I said MOT HISTORY, which should go back to 2006, that will tell you the kind of life its had. 👍

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Without even seeing it, I would say that sounds way too much money. For £9,000 I would expect to be looking at something really special. Also, the older these get, the more original they need to be to command that kind of price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that sounds hugely expensive to me - im looking currently and ive seen some very nice examples for 5-7k, and 7 being top end really.
[/QUOTE
Sadly I think you might be right! Maybe I've been looking I the wrong places!, :)... Any tips on where to look?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Evening, if it’s in decent nick I don’t think it’s an unreasonable asking price.
If it’s one you like, you could start with an offer of around 7.5-8k and I think for around 8k ish it’s a sound buy, obviously I don’t know the van but if it’s sound that would be my number.

I am on van number 4 always worry about scene tax etc, but they hold their value and will potentially appreciate so don’t worry too much!

Hopefully you find a good one, where is this one advertised?
Cheers 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Easy Tiger 9k!!!!

Why would you spend that on any vehicle at that age with that k on the clock. Dont let the VW tax man get ya!

·
Registered
118 Posts
9k is about the right money for a decent pop top t4 especially at the moment with prices on the rise. Buts as said it's all about the spec and condition, rust rust rust!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts