VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Having some issues to get local VW dealers to confirm that the Westfalia Pop-top and bed-seat I fitted from a complete interior sourced from a scrapped '91 Cali are valid for my 1996 SWB T4

Roof Strengthener VW : 701070700

Pop Top - VW: 701070711

Seat / Bed VW : 701070200B & VW : 701070220

Part numbers sources here:

http://es.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW/CAMP/1996/132/R/0

Refueza del Techo VW : 701070700

Techo Elevable VW: 701070711

Bancada de Asientos VW : 701070200B & VW : 701070220

I need the some sort of Type approval or confirmation from VW these are offical parts before i can get them homolgated and the van changed to a camper classification here in Spain.

Regards

Butter

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Hi Guys

Having some issues to get local VW dealers to confirm that the Westfalia Pop-top and bed-seat I fitted from a complete interior sourced from a scrapped '91 Cali are valid for my 1996 SWB T4

Roof Strengthener VW : 701070700

Pop Top - VW: 701070711

Seat / Bed VW : 701070200B & VW : 701070220

Part numbers sources here:

Butter
701 070 711 is not coming up on the system, the roof reinforcement comprises of MANY components, not just the one item.

701 070 200 B is just the seat housing, again the seat assembly comprises of many components!

701 070 220 is just the padding and cover, nothing more.

In my opinion, I think you would find it difficult for any VW franchised network dealer to certify that.

What do you really need proof they are genuine parts, or do you need them to certify it is safe ................ I would not be doing the latter for a galleon full of gold bars :*:*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks - yes I am aware its more than one part , I just gave the main part number in order to make the post leaner .

Its not to certify that its safe (I pay and engineer / testing lab to do that), its to confirm that they are VW parts that are valid for fitting to the same base vehicle. This means I skip the whole homogolation BS. I know normally people fit new aftermarket parts , which come with type approval certificates, but I had a very rusty german Cali, and a rust free Spanish van to play with, seemed like a good idea at the time..... Oh well, project engineer said it would be OK, and its built now...

I was just looking for some suggestion. VW told me to approach local dealers, but I cant see them being bothered to assist.

All I really need is access to offical VW parts fiche, from which I can get printouts, which state model and year ....

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Hi

Thanks - yes I am aware its more than one part , I just gave the main part number in order to make the post leaner .

Its not to certify that its safe (I pay and engineer / testing lab to do that), its to confirm that they are VW parts that are valid for fitting to the same base vehicle. This means I skip the whole homogolation BS. I know normally people fit new aftermarket parts , which come with type approval certificates, but I had a very rusty german Cali, and a rust free Spanish van to play with, seemed like a good idea at the time..... Oh well, project engineer said it would be OK, and its built now...

I was just looking for some suggestion. VW told me to approach local dealers, but I cant see them being bothered to assist.

All I really need is access to offical VW parts fiche, from which I can get printouts, which state model and year ....
OK I get where you are coming from. Parts fiche, went out with the stone age I:

The problem is from a VW (or any main dealer perspective), and I have run a good few; is these are not parts to be 'fitted to'. The Westfalia was a 'factory' production vehicle, and the parts you used were not homologated on that particular body shell / VIN number.

It is not like a bolt on accessory, that carries a TUV certificate for example (as lots of seats roofs etc DON'T), it is a production spare part. I can't see a printrd list of part numbers, which you have; being of much use ............ it does not, or never will make it a Wesfalia. And I think what you are saying is because you have used some 27 year old parts from an original vehicle everything MUST be OK?

Can you not get some help from the VW approved bodyshop that did all the work for you?

The structural integrity of the vehicle has changed (it will not be as built). No engineer could verify 100% that a 22 year old (your current one) vehicle, with 27 year old parts (the original), would stand up to the crash test of a 'when new' factory Westfalia, nor will you have part numbers on every panel, bolt, and pop rivet, to show anyone.

I wish you well, and if you do find someone to do it then they will be pretty 'brave'. As an automotive engineer myself, what testing can your 'lab' do. :*:*:* I'm very interested to know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Fair enough , understand your point of view - was trying to avoid the TUV type approval route, but seems that might be easier. Will try and see.

The engineer report is to state compliance with the Spanish vehicle modification rules , and to facilitate change of type from car to motorhome (I believe DVLA has a similar process for UK) , not really a crash safety test, and not claimed to be. I understand the fear of litigation risk - I just wanted to avoid having to deal with even more Spanish paper shufflers.....

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Hi

Fair enough , understand your point of view - was trying to avoid the TUV type approval route, but seems that might be easier. Will try and see.

The engineer report is to state compliance with the Spanish vehicle modification rules , and to facilitate change of type from car to motorhome (I believe DVLA has a similar process for UK) , not really a crash safety test, and not claimed to be. I understand the fear of litigation risk - I just wanted to avoid having to deal with even more Spanish paper shufflers.....
I say again I do understand your situation, and the frustration of the red tape associated with the Spanish approval rules.

DVLA, quite honestly is a 'JOKE', send a nice letter along with some images and you are 'in'.

Some people hate strict regulation regarding vehicle type and safety. You don't see a lot of DIY campers in Germany for example, I guess that even your bit of good old 2"X 2" (50 X 50), from the local DIY store would need a TUV certificate before being used LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
By what I have heard of the Spanish ITV (MOT) you would find it easier to fly unless perhaps you have a fat wallet ;)

Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts