VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total newbie here, just bought a 1995 auto T4 petrol 2459cc, I’ve been told the belt has snapped.
Does this mean bent rods, piston damage etc or can belt just be renewed
Also what other engine will fit into mine If beyond financial repair. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also would anyone know the code? I don’t know if it’s 4 or 5 cylinder etc, it’s a 1995 automatic Petrol 2459cc GLA caravelle minibus. I can’t get bonnet open will try tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Find the Id sticker with all the codes, mine is in the drivers footwell (lhd van).
My 2.5l petrol 1995 is an ACU but it’s manual and I wouldn’t be sure yours is an acu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dazey for that great help, I’ll check tomorrow, hopefully it’s just a case of rebuilding the head and no piston damage? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Normally only 3 valves get bent. The damage to the pistons and rods is in a worst case scenario. Unless you were doing high speeds when it snapped you need not think about bent rods and pistons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much guys for your help, there was no damage just changed the belt.
Delighted ! Thanks again

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Blimey! That’s a result. Some petrol engines are a “soft fail” meaning there is clearance between valves and pistons regardless of timing (my old Toyota is one of these). Maybe the 2.5 VW motor is? Either way - great news...

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
The VW engine is a close tolerance engine. If the belt snaps you risk breaking up stuff just like the diesel engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts