VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have posted similar elsewhere so if you are reading this again, apologies, however I do value opinions into this unknown territory for me!

Here is what I need and what (I think) I want!

Want a camper/van the van has to be a sensible daily user for the wife (as well with occasional others to carry) but also for weekends and trips away throughout the year.

I like the idea of two swivel seats up front, a three seat rear fold out bed and a removeable cooker / fridge option. Not too fussed about the rest of the traditional camper set up cupboards etc. I guess my only option is to get a base van (Caravelle probably) and do the tweaks myself. The seating options in the Caravelle give the best base to start from as the seat belts etc are already in. Then install swivel bases for driver and passenger with a fold up/down table. Then all I need is a removeable cabinet with the fridge cooker which I guess I could cobble myself. Sounds doable methinks? Anyone seen or done this?

I would always have the middle set of seats for occasional addition passenger use when needed as a bus.

The challenge is fitting in the two kids as there would be no pop-top. Can you get a hammock bed that crosses the front seats for a T4? What to do with the other child? My kids are 3 and 6 months and so need not much room, but want something comfy and practical.

I think I want a T4 Caravelle! Not sure if an LWB will be too large for the Mrs to park - although I do like the idea of a rear mounted camera and a screen built into the rear view mirror. I saw this somewhere for about £90!

My budget is about £4k!

Answers on a postcard please?

Cheers all!:)

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
hi mate and welcome,personally i think a caravelle would be your best option as a starter which would give you an everyday family transport as well as weekend camper without too much trouble,as you are already panneled/windowed out whereas with a panel van you would need to fit windows then carpet all bare metal areas etc
panel vans dont have fixings for seatbelts in the rear (although you can fit them)so you have already ticked that box also
buy an awning then as you say build a kitchen type unit which lifts out in to the awning and you can cook out there and doesnt smell the van up and its a bit safer than trying to cook in the van (on your knees)with young kids around
swivel seats are easily fitted and make a massive difference and gives a more space feel when you are parked up
cab bunk would be suitable at the moment to fit both children at the same time but with the middle seats removed you would have enough room for a pop up travel cot for the baby

hope some of this helps and happy hunting T:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yep what t4 virgin said. caravelles have lots of seat/belt options.

the lwb is great for space but can be a bit annoying to park if it is a daily drive. Mine is a lwb ,my wife struggles and i have to say i do sometimes as well sometimes and have had vans for years.

good luck with your searchT:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi,
As the other guys say,a Caravelle is an excellent choice and very adaptable in the way you suggest.
The ideal is a Multivan which comes with the full width seat/bed from the factory,extra,removable seats when you either need the seats or alternatively the room.A cooker/camping unit to pop in when you need it and a set of thermal blids for the windows and Bon's your Uncle.
The other advantage is it will appear on all the insurance companies databases so you get a straightforward quote.Rather than have to explain,well it 'was' a van and the.....etc.(Churchill says..no,no,no!)

Getting a Multivan at your budget may be a struggle,I have twice found vehicles in the ex-mobility sales - great vans already converted and lined (some are Caravelle) with usually a low mileage and service history.

Good Luck,you're on the right lines.T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All excellent comments. One last question. Is there a need for additional insulation if I go for a Caravelle? If so, is it as easy as popping the panels off and putting some in?

Cheers all!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have a Caravelle and have used it for the occasional camping trip

It has a fixed rear 3 seat that folds flat
It also has a twin and a single middle row of seats
these also fold flat
So I taks a couple of bit of ply with me when sorting out the bed I fold all the seats down and place the boards over the gap
cover the windows with thermal mats
Place the foam I have had cut to size on the backs of the seats and a bed it ready for my collapse when returning from the pub

Simplez

Andy

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hi, Check this out on e-bay re; cab bunk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220534715191&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

The challenge is fitting in the two kids as there would be no pop-top. Can you get a hammock bed that crosses the front seats for a T4? What to do with the other child? My kids are 3 and 6 months and so need not much room, but want something comfy and practical.

Cheers, Rob
You have a total of four posts on the forum so far with each and every one of them advertising your ebay item I:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts