VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we are completely new to this. Have been reading the forums and gobbling up all the information we can find online but I'm sure there'll be many things we need to ask over the next few months or so.

We are looking to convert a VW T4 Caravelle/Transporter van.

I was wondering if anyone has any images of interiors of a similiar van converted?

I seem unable to find photos of vans similiar in terms of the amount of windows the van has.

Most conversions I'm seeing have wooden panelling inside which we would love but I'm not sure if this would work or is even possible with the windows.

I have found information regarding the ceiling saying it would mean losing the blowers etc but nothing showing or describing the sides of the vans.

Most conversions seem to make good use of the wall space which with the windows I guess we just don't have.

And also cosmetically the grey plastic that is currently forming the walls of the van isn't something we would ideally want to keep.

Any tips/advice/links to posts I may have missed in my searches/photos/videos etc would be so greatly appreciated.

We have a lot to learn yet! X

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Dojuno, have you already have a van or planning to purchase? You can get a T4 transporter without any windows at the back, not even on the tailgate if you wish to but most people like middle windows and a tailgate with a window at least. The Caravelle has windows all round but easy to black them out if you want to put in a cupboards etc. That way you would still have a nearside rear window. I would personally avoid carpeted walls, ceiling etc as they do discolour and start to peel off etc after a few years, not a good look. With a Caravelle you can remove interior panels where you are planning to put furniture etc but can keep the others such as the sliding door as much nicer and easy to wipe clean. There is insulation already behind the panels from factory. A factory headlining is also a lot nicer than carpet, unless you plan fitting a elevating roof or high top of course. I would even keep the flooring where you can providing it's in good shape. Lastly, whether you want a fully converted or a simple camper. I've done a very simple conversion on my previous Caravelle; a 5x6 foot double bed utilising the rear bench seat, a removable small kitchen pod and another removable cupboard, which converted, within minutes, back to a seven seater with proper seatbelts throughout. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks so much for your response. We are looking to buy the Caravelle off our in-laws at a good price (and good knowledge of the condition it's in) hence the reason we are going for this model.

Thanks so much for the info, good to know we can cover some of the rear windows if needed/wanted.

Ideally we want to remove all the plastic walls around the windows and wood panel the wall and the ceiling but we weren't sure how hard that would be around the windows as most conversions I've seen don't have so many windows.

Do you have any photos of yours? Would love to see to gain ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi thanks so much for your response. We are looking to buy the Caravelle off our in-laws at a good price (and good knowledge of the condition it's in) hence the reason we are going for this model.

Thanks so much for the info, good to know we can cover some of the rear windows if needed/wanted.

Ideally we want to remove all the plastic walls around the windows and wood panel the wall and the ceiling but we weren't sure how hard that would be around the windows as most conversions I've seen don't have so many windows.

Do you have any photos of yours? Would love to see to gain ideas.
Hi. I’m currently converting or shall we say renovating an already existing t4 Caravelle camper.
had a complete interior in but was looking a little worse for where so lockdown Prompted the rip out ...
It’s a 1995 Caravelle which has been converted to a camper including a high top..
One window on the rear was blocked as there was a cupboard built in front of it but on the outside of the van it has a plastic window shield..

Will add pics for you tomorrow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. I’m currently converting or shall we say renovating an already existing t4 Caravelle camper.
had a complete interior in but was looking a little worse for where so lockdown Prompted the rip out ...
It’s a 1995 Caravelle which has been converted to a camper including a high top..
One window on the rear was blocked as there was a cupboard built in front of it but on the outside of the van it has a plastic window shield..

Will add pics for you tomorrow
Amazing thank you so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a pic of another van I came across in the gallery,might give you a better idea rather than me holding it against the van ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts