VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im changing the rotton front crossmember but the left outrigger that it bolts to is totally blown with rott all the way to the chassis and needs replacing has anyone removed one?, and I guess its spot welded all round the lip after i dig out the tonn of factory underseal, looks like a nasty job, ive just welded in new sills but now looks like another job to add to the list.
Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I replaced both mine last summer and chucked a new front crossmember on for good measure.
Also replaced some of the inner wheel arch which sits on top of the outriggers as you could see the road!

If your handy with the welder go for it. And yes the sealant is a sod; even when you dig it all out there's always some in the seams which melts and runs into your weld.
I only have basic tools and a little MIG so just used a good old hammer and chisel + angle grinder.

Buy the proper outriggers (£50 ish each) , bolt them up before tacking etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks, should they be bolted on the rear?, mine just has welds filling the two rear holes, i was going to go round the old outrigger with my spot weld drill once i find all the other spots. After removing some of the grey goo the job doesn't seem so bad.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im not sure what the hole in them is for, I just welded around them !

I found a heat gun and scraper/screwdriver handy for getting the sealant off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts