VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 1997 T4 Transporter 1.9td (800 special) since new and it has covered only 66,000 miles.

It has had the rear springs replaced twice, the last time less about a year and a half ago.

Now the van has just failed its MOT because of a broken rear spring which is less than a year and a half old.

The van had heavy duty springs put in last time and the van never gets over loaded.

I know the springs are a poor design and tend to break at the point where the coil gets narrow after a while, but surely after a year and half is not acceptible.

The last springs fitted were KYB heavy duty.

Is there any springs on the market for T4s that are not prone to breaking in this way in such a short time???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I've got ex aa and these springs have broken twice on my
van in the past four years
did you get any advice on a replacement set
of springs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just broke a rear spring on my 01 EX-AA :( I searched around this site and the web for heavy duty rear spring and most replacements are for lowering your t4. I carry alot of weight (rear mounted spec lift, tool boxes, Ect...) When I tow cars it's actually less sprung weight but it gets some serious stress. Where can I look to find some new springs? I may add some spacers to them to gain a few extra MM in clearance too.

Anyone got some advice on my options?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If stock springs are giving you a headache you can always call Seikel and get one of his kits for the T4. If you don't want the extra height you can always avoid installing the rubber disc suplements at the top of the provided rear springs and tightening the torsion bars in the front. You will get a stiffer suspension and better shock absorving (due to the Bilstein B6 shocks) without rising the van.

Don't try to get the Eibach Cargo Pro springs alone. Since Seikel started selling his kit, there is no way to bypass them. Years ago it was perfectly possible to buy them straight from Eibach, but not right now.

I haven't contacted them because I found out about them AFTER buying my Seikel kit (I sold the Bilstein Shocks and only kept the springs because I fitted custom separate reservoir gas shocks) but there is a company here in Spain who tailors custom springs. They are oriented mainly at the offroading market but maybe they could craft some springs for the T4 vans. Here is the contact info:

Industrial De Muelles Giralt S.L.
C/ Narcis Monturiol, 75,
Sabadell,
BARCELONA 08203
t: 937104542-670546542 f: 937121232

I hope this helps.

Mikel

·
Registered
2 Posts
By the way, I forgot to mention that you can also forget all the above and fit MAD suplementary reinforcement spring INSIDE the existing rear springs. They provide unsurpased stiffness for heavy load carrying without giving you extra height.

Mikel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts