VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently own an MK4 Golf, and my local scrap yard just landed me another Golf that uses that ARL 150BHP / 240-Torque engine. I think he said the car is a Cat B as it took a nasty hit from the rear and took half the end off.

At first I wanted the engine for myself, as I own the 110BHP TDI and always wanted the PD150 but couldn't bare parting with my own golf as I spent alot of time on it.

So the question is, would the Golf's engine fit into the engine bay of a T4? If so, would it be a comfortable fit, or would it need alot of squeezing in/expensive modifications?

Also, how bad would the MPG be effected? The Golf the PD150 came out of weighs a total of 1.9 tonnes (according to autotrader and parkers UK) and it could average a goof 40MPG in the city and 65 on the motorway.

Regards.

·
Banned
300 Posts
None members cant because need to pay there 10quid subs for what exactly to read others helpfull info not been funny but anywhere else is free so why this forum is charged i will never no but thats been coverd many times before .

to your question you can fit a 1Z or AHU into a T4 no problem if you would like quick guide thats not a problem .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None members cant because need to pay there 10quid subs for what exactly to read others helpfull info not been funny but anywhere else is free so why this forum is charged i will never no but thats been coverd many times before .

to your question you can fit a 1Z or AHU into a T4 no problem if you would like quick guide thats not a problem .
Hi, thanks for the reply. I believe the AHU engine from the MK3 and not the MK4 which I think are different sizes all together, but I could be wrong. Any ideas if anyones managed to get in any TDI MK4 engine into a T4 before? If so, would it be expensive / require a lot of modifications?

Regards.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Anything is possible bud and the engine is across the engine bay so hopefully the mounts wont need too much work. I wouldn't have a clue about whats involved as nobody on here has tried fitting one (as far as i am aware).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything is possible bud and the engine is across the engine bay so hopefully the mounts wont need too much work. I wouldn't have a clue about whats involved as nobody on here has tried fitting one (as far as i am aware).
Aww, its a shame, I was hoping to find someone thats done something along the lines as I personaly think it would be an awesome conversion I mean, the original Golf weighs around 1.8 tonnes and if I'm not mistaken, the T4 is no more then 2 tonnes so you would have got the power and the economy of the Golf TDI engine. I mean, 40-45MPG in the city is not to shabby... It's even better when it can reach beyond 65MPG on the motorway which is around 800 miles to the tank. T:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Aww, its a shame, I was hoping to find someone thats done something along the lines as I personaly think it would be an awesome conversion I mean, the original Golf weighs around 1.8 tonnes and if I'm not mistaken, the T4 is no more then 2 tonnes so you would have got the power and the economy of the Golf TDI engine. I mean, 40-45MPG in the city is not to shabby... It's even better when it can reach beyond 65MPG on the motorway which is around 800 miles to the tank. T:
trust me buddy a T4 does not weigh 2 tonnes plus,my SWB 1.9TD 1/4 tank of derv & steel box section frame welded to the rear floor

1550kg but for some mad reason ive got 1660kg even so if it were the latter its still just over a tonne & half

i cant see the conversion been a massive prob other than the electronic side of things,,iam sure when my son use to buy the golf mag there was a place that actually did such conversions into Mk2 / Mk 1"s so it do"able buddy,,yeah its summat ive though of above the original tdi conversion on here,,i mean 150 wild horses from the get go & a house full of grunt what more could you ask for oh & at least 45/50 mpg

perfik ;):cool:go for it buddy

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Up to and including the MK3 Golf's all VW engine blocks were very similar.

In short the all the 1.6, 1.8, 1.9 diesel blocks are the same across the range. That includes Golfs, T4's, Passats, and Jetta's. VW changed crankshafts, pistons etc. to increase the stroke to achieve the extra capacity. There were subtle differences in the casting as te range developed but nothing drastic. I'm currently running a 1.8 GTi lump in my T4. The thought of changing the crank to 1.9 has crossed my mind but going 2.0L would probably be easier.

Got to admit I'm not sure what VW did with the Mk4 though. Haven't looked. I:

Dont ask me about electrics / Ecu's and stuff. :*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies fellas, I was just a little sceptial if I should buy the scraped MK4 or not, as I really want to but I don't own a T4 at the moment, and it would be hard to find out anyone that knows about these kind of things but I'll pop into the local VW dealer today to see what happens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trust me buddy a T4 does not weigh 2 tonnes plus,my SWB 1.9TD 1/4 tank of derv & steel box section frame welded to the rear floor

1550kg but for some mad reason ive got 1660kg even so if it were the latter its still just over a tonne & half

i cant see the conversion been a massive prob other than the electronic side of things,,iam sure when my son use to buy the golf mag there was a place that actually did such conversions into Mk2 / Mk 1"s so it do"able buddy,,yeah its summat ive though of above the original tdi conversion on here,,i mean 150 wild horses from the get go & a house full of grunt what more could you ask for oh & at least 45/50 mpg

perfik ;):cool:go for it buddy
Whats suprising about the weight of the T4 is that its actually lighter then a little golf hatchback. I mean, my golf weighed 1790kg when stock I can't imagine what it weighs now. It's suprising how little and how much some things weigh.

Regarding the power/MPG, to my understanding the PD150 is easily remappable by any remap outlet upto 190BHP (smooth, not forced.) And then there's the Torque which can reach 450NM.

Even better, thease engines can do a good 45MPG city in the Golf, which weighs more, so if you put this engine into a lighter car you WON'T loose any miles, you'll actually gain 'em. Don't forget, it can also do 65MPG on the motorway with a top speed of 150mph. O, and how could I forget the magical 0-60. This can be achived in and around 7 seconds. So to sum up everything, you would gain:

• A 190BHP Engine / 450NM Torque
  • City 45MPG & 65MPG Motorway (double the original engine)
  • 0-60 in under 7 seconds
  • With a top speed of 150mph
Don't forget, theres also the option of Supercharging the engine, and adding other mods like the R32 race exhaust and even N.O.S!! What would be really awesome is if you could convert the T4 to 4X4 and have an even better take of to achive quiker 0-60 times. Aww, the dreams I have are incredible but it all needs $$$

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don't forget, it can also do 65MPG on the motorway with a top speed of 150mph.
You might get good urban mpg, but I don't think it will do as well on the motorway. Slow speed mpg is all about starting and stopping a given weight (and associated wasted energy). Motorway mpg is much more about aerodynamics and this is where the van will really lose out to the car (especially if you were to ever drive over the legal speed limit I:) Air resistance goes up as the square of speed, so you get twice as much air resistance at 70mph than at 50mph and 4 times as much at 100mph.

Sorry to pour cold water on your enthusiasm because I think it would make a fantastic van!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The gearbox must play a huge part in this.

Having all the power in the world is rubbish if you cant transfer it to the wheels.

i've no idea how a Mk4 engine and a T4 clutch and gearbox would marry tbh :*

Got to admit if I had the will, money and an alternative vehicle I would be so tempted to play with ideas ina similar fashion to Tonic and his 1.8 20v turbo. I'd probably be a little more traditional but still the temptation is there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Maybe the 2 chaps that put the 20v turbo's into there T4's could give you some ideas as I think the petrol and diesel blocks are similar. Engine mounts should be fairly easy I don't know what sump or pick up pipe you would need to use. Gearbox is cable operated on the 6 spd. If you get a good deal on the full golf for spares you could use the full loom,clocks and keys from the golf and it would save some major hassle.
The ARL is a great engine sometimes plagued wih cam issues. But would be great fun in the van.I have one a golf with the arl engine and its chipped to 190 bhp great fun and gets 55+mpg on a long run.
Good luck with the project.
m

·
Registered
530 Posts
:confused:
Whats suprising about the weight of the T4 is that its actually lighter then a little golf hatchback. I mean, my golf weighed 1790kg when stock I can't imagine what it weighs now. It's suprising how little and how much some things weigh.

Regarding the power/MPG, to my understanding the PD150 is easily remappable by any remap outlet upto 190BHP (smooth, not forced.) And then there's the Torque which can reach 450NM.

Even better, thease engines can do a good 45MPG city in the Golf, which weighs more, so if you put this engine into a lighter car you WON'T loose any miles, you'll actually gain 'em. Don't forget, it can also do 65MPG on the motorway with a top speed of 150mph. O, and how could I forget the magical 0-60. This can be achived in and around 7 seconds. So to sum up everything, you would gain:

• A 190BHP Engine / 450NM Torque
  • City 45MPG & 65MPG Motorway (double the original engine)
  • 0-60 in under 7 seconds
  • With a top speed of 150mph
Don't forget, theres also the option of Supercharging the engine, and adding other mods like the R32 race exhaust and even N.O.S!! What would be really awesome is if you could convert the T4 to 4X4 and have an even better take of to achive quiker 0-60 times. Aww, the dreams I have are incredible but it all needs $$$
Are you sure a golf weighs 1790kg unladen? That must be the max gross weight surely

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might get good urban mpg, but I don't think it will do as well on the motorway. Slow speed mpg is all about starting and stopping a given weight (and associated wasted energy). Motorway mpg is much more about aerodynamics and this is where the van will really lose out to the car (especially if you were to ever drive over the legal speed limit I:) Air resistance goes up as the square of speed, so you get twice as much air resistance at 70mph than at 50mph and 4 times as much at 100mph.

Sorry to pour cold water on your enthusiasm because I think it would make a fantastic van!
Aww, thanks for pointing that out mate, the aerodynamics completely slipped my mind. Although you are right about the city drive, it shouldn't effect the return of miles to much. Regarding the motorway MPG, how low do you think it'll get?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, you where right... I've been looking at the "Gross Weight" all along and not the "Minimum Kerb Weight." So to correct myself, the weight of the MK4 TDI PD150 Golf is 1,388KG. (1.4 tonnes.)

·
Registered
317 Posts
You will not get 65MPG.
My wife owns a ARL powered Leon FR TDI and that will do 56MPG if I drive it like a nun on the motorway. Typically get 50MPG on the motorway when driven normally. Urban it will do 44 ish.

As for power, 190BHP is easily achievable but beyond this the clutch will need addressing as the life span of the stock item will be greatly reduced when it transmits this amount of power and torque.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a golf gt tdi 150bhp. I'd get about 40 odd mpg around town and about 55 on a good run on the motorway. This was with the 6 speed box though. Not sure how this would work out with a 5 speed t4 gearbox :*

1 - 20 of 26 Posts