VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I think my fuel line is sucking in air and I wondered where I can get a replacement line. It might have been holed by a welding spark...

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement section? Or can I replace with some reinforced black hose? Is it 10mm internal diameter?

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its more likely to be a crack in the sender unit, leaky spill off pipes/return pipe or the pump itself. I would think if the clear pipe was leaking there would be a good leak and the pipe would be soaked in fuel - in short you'd know about it!

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Also, if the filter has recently been changed then the o-ring (on the return-valve on top of the filter) can get damaged. If this happens you’ll see air in the clear pipe which will affect starting.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Good point about the welding spark causing a leak. Return pipes have just been done - well about 12 months ago, and the van has always started first time every time for the four years I've owned it. I jacked up the front end to do all the welding and it's been that way for a month or so. It didn't start on Saturday when I tried it for the first time and now I see all the air in the clear tube. The fuel filter has not been changed either. Nothing else has changed. I wonder if I just need to try priming the pump and purge the injector pipes to get it started, although that air is getting in from somewhere, right? I'm a bit stumped. The engine fired up after a couple of squirts of easy start but of course died again as soon as that was burnt.

·
Registered
346 Posts
if you fit a priming bulb before the filter it will stop the fuel draining back. Its only masks the problem, but would solve it in the short term.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All sorted. I used a vacuum pump and connected it to the last return pipe, pumped diesel until the bubbles disappeared, took away the vacuum pump, reconnected the return pipe, then opened the injector nuts and cranked the engine, until I could see diesel being spat from each of them. I then tightened the nuts, cranked the engine again, and it started as usual. I ran it for a while, stopped, started, and kept an eye on the clear fuel line. No bubbles so far, but at least I know how to prime the stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions, chaps. I'll bear them in mind if the problem reoccurs. And thanks for replying, in any case. Very encouraging to know I'm not alone with these issues

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts