VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. Have been lurking for a few days soaking up the atmosphere and having a poke about. Kicking a few virtual tyres if you will.

We compete in dog agility and have two collies but will be increasing the pack in over the next few years. Hence I am looking to replace my estate car with a van. So far the T4 is winning. Have looked at a couple of transits and vivaro's - these are the most popular in agility but the more i read into them the more i am put off. Transits rust and vivaro's seem to spend more time getting fixed than driving.

Like i say, it will be at least a year before i NEED a van so i can take my time and find a good 'un.

I need to tow a caravan - just a single axle 4 berth, max laden wieght 1250kg - and just wanted check that the T4 would tow this legally. Was thinking a 2.5 TDi 102HP for this reason. How good is the 2.5TDi 88HP for towing? i have also read it is possible to add an inter-cooler to get the 102 HP out of the 88. Is there anything else involved in this conversion - i presume a remap would be required.

One of my main areas of interest is how any of you have your vans kitted out for your dogs. Do you have cages in the back? Any other good bits of kit for canines? I was hoping to fix 4 cages in the rear and flettner vents in the roof.

The van will be my daily driver. Ideally will have two seats in the back but not essential. I believe there are insurance issues with just adding them yourself so will need to read up a bit on that. Hopefully can get a window van straight off with seats already fitted.

In the mean time i will be a prospective owner and with some luck i'll pick up enough knowledge to buy the right van when i presents itself.

Anyhow...

Hi!

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
welcome to a fellow scot,we are no longer a minority on here,were catching up fast

you seem to have done a bit of homework and know what you want already,i have an 88hp 2.5 and regularly tow with it,tows no problems at all,if you do buy a 88 then you can add an intercooler from a 102 then change injectors (around £250 ish) and remap (£250ish)and you can comfortably have 150 bhp for little expense
there are plenty of threads around with details of this

i have seen pics of vans on here with cages etc fitted so someone with one may be along shortly,

·
Registered
365 Posts
welcome to the forum mate T:
until recently, my T4 was used as our family dog wagon, carrying our very much missed GSD. i didnt go all out converting it though, just fitted the largest cage that Argos sold behind the bench seat (i've an ex-AA), with it sitting on some foam gym flooring mats to give it some cushioning. i never got round to fitting roof vents though, although i did look into my options and like you decided a flettner vent would be the way forward.
as far as towing is concerned, get an ex-AA, 102bhp and a nice hefty tow bar with air bag rear suspension as standard!

here's a couple of pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice looking wagon.

i had noticed the ex-AA vans but wondered about how they have been worked. I suspected tehy'd be a bit ragged but your van looks nice. Has it been re-sprayed?

·
Registered
365 Posts
nice looking wagon.

i had noticed the ex-AA vans but wondered about how they have been worked. I suspected tehy'd be a bit ragged but your van looks nice. Has it been re-sprayed?
the only paint work done is the colour coded bumpers/mirros and the colour coding of the lower quarters (that used to be green). i think i struck lucky with mine, some can be dogs, others good. luck of the draw i suppose. the interior could be better, with flaking paint and broken interior panels but nothing a bit of carpeting won't sort out.
mechanically, it's great, 110,000 miles but feels almost new. i've even managed to get hold of the AA fleet history for the van which settled my mind a bit.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
HI Paul c can i ask how you got hold of the old history for the van as i to have ex AA. Thanks. Well impressed with mine get 1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts