VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, i have a 2001 swb diesel panel van. i set off the other day and got to 60mph and this drumming,humming noise started that i had never heard before and was so loud going throught the whole van that i could hardly bear it.
my mechanic has checked all wheel bearings, steering, drive shafts, suspension, wheels, tyres, fuel tank and exhaust fixing, side door adjustment but cant find anything wrong anywhere.
it also does it whether in or out of gear, uphill under load or downhill coasting.
a passenger i had with me said it felt like it was coming through the passenger door and going through the whole van. it seems worse between 50-60 but can be not bad some days and vary bad other days.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, i will check them. i hope the front ones are as the garage had that wheel off to do the bearing but i will check all, thanks.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
checked my nuts tonight and all are tight. cheers.
Did you jack the van to check ?...Long story, but mine weren't. Other thought, have you lost a balancing weight from a wheel ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
jack it up and spin the tyre - feel the tyre as its going round and check that its 'round' I had a drumming noise, and it was a rear tyre that was deformed inwards on the tread.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi

Could be a seazed rear caliper, mine sounded like a lancaster bomber until they were replaced. Not cheap !

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
using the spare wheel, swap out one wheel at a time and see if it goes away, start with the front passenger side if that is where you think the noise is coming from.

That way you can eliminate the wheels being buckled, misbalanced, or tyre distorted etc.

I've had all three of those problems cause this kinda noise.

Good luck T:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts