VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I recently got myself a T4 after selling my last one many moons ago, and I'd like to ask a question regarding the 240v electric hookup solution that's been installed by previous owner!

So there are 2 power sockets in the side of the van that has one wire going along the side of the van and then outside to an electric hookup plug tucked inside the bumper!

I've gone and bought an electric hookup socket that has a flap, to replace the current one, as the current one just has the open 3 pin socket on the end which seems a bit dodge!

I have no idea about electrics but have read that I should have an Rcd breaker between the power plugs and the electric hookup socket?

Is there anything else I need to do? Hesitant on touching it at all considering I know next to nothing about electrics!

Thanks in advance all 馃檪

Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
Hi all! I recently got myself a T4 after selling my last one many moons ago, and I'd like to ask a question regarding the 240v electric hookup solution that's been installed by previous owner!

So there are 2 power sockets in the side of the van that has one wire going along the side of the van and then outside to an electric hookup plug tucked inside the bumper!

I've gone and bought an electric hookup socket that has a flap, to replace the current one, as the current one just has the open 3 pin socket on the end which seems a bit dodge!

I have no idea about electrics but have read that I should have an Rcd breaker between the power plugs and the electric hookup socket?

Is there anything else I need to do? Hesitant on touching it at all considering I know next to nothing about electrics!

Thanks in advance all 馃檪
Firstly, let's clarify what you have and what you have bought ....
You first say you had a hookup plug and then say it was a "open 3 Pin socket" - was it a plug or was it a socket? this is not being pendantic, it is very important!
And again, you have bought a hookup socket with a flap - is it a socket or did you mean a plug?

The hookup connection on a Campervan must be a PLUG i.e. having exposed pins, just like a 13A Plug has exposed pins. Having a flap on the end to keep it clean is a nice to have for sure but not as essential as you are thinking.

If you literally know next to nothing about electrics, I suggest you do engage someone to check out the setup for you and ask him/her questions about what is what - playing with 240V AC within a metal shed is not a good learning environment ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly, let's clarify what you have and what you have bought ....
You first say you had a hookup plug and then say it was a "open 3 Pin socket" - was it a plug or was it a socket? this is not being pendantic, it is very important!
And again, you have bought a hookup socket with a flap - is it a socket or did you mean a plug?

The hookup connection on a Campervan must be a PLUG i.e. having exposed pins, just like a 13A Plug has exposed pins. Having a flap on the end to keep it clean is a nice to have for sure but not as essential as you are thinking.

If you literally know next to nothing about electrics, I suggest you do engage someone to check out the setup for you and ask him/her questions about what is what - playing with 240V AC within a metal shed is not a good learning environment ;)
Apologies! Will try and clarify below.

So I have a double switched socked inside the van, which is wired all the way to the back of the van with a mains electric inlet at the end. This end is tucked inside the bumper which can be taken out and plugged in when needed.

However my issue is there is nothing protecting that double switched socket as it's just a straight wire to the back of the van. I.E no RCD breaker? And the second issue is that the mains electric inlet at the back of the van isn't one that has a flap to keep it watertight and thus quite exposed to the elements.

I've bought this https://www.towsure.com/surface-mounting-caravan-mains-electric-inlet to replace the one I have currently, but my main concern is that the current wiring situation has no protection from surges etc.

I read somewhere that most electric hookup places have RCD breakers within the mains sockets that they provide per-pitch meaning that I should be ok? But I guess this isn't guaranteed everywhere you go, so I guess having one fitted in the van is a good shout?

I'll speak to someone I know that might have a better idea than me but thought I'd ask you lot first in case it's an easy yes you're fine, or don't bother with the hassle and get someone to do it properly haha!

Cheers

Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!

So I have a double switched socked inside the van, which is wired all the way to the back of the van with a mains electric inlet at the end. This end is tucked inside the bumper which can be taken out and plugged in when needed.

However my issue is there is nothing protecting that double switched socket as it's just a straight wire to the back of the van. I.E no RCD breaker? And the second issue is that the mains electric inlet at the back of the van isn't one that has a flap to keep it watertight and thus quite exposed to the elements.

I've bought this https://www.towsure.com/surface-mounting-caravan-mains-electric-inlet to replace the one I have currently, but my main concern is that the current wiring situation has no protection from surges etc.

I read somewhere that most electric hookup places have RCD breakers within the mains sockets that they provide per-pitch meaning that I should be ok? But I guess this isn't guaranteed everywhere you go, so I guess having one fitted in the van is a good shout?

I'll speak to someone I know that might have a better idea than me but thought I'd ask you lot first in case it's an easy yes you're fine, or don't bother with the hassle and get someone to do it properly haha!

Cheers
New Plug looks right T:
Old one exposed to the elements? Well, yes it is, but only when not in use though. Having a flap or cover is always a good idea.

You have a couple of choices regarding RCD options. And yes, you should definately have one inside your van.
1) Fit an RCD between the EHU Plug and the Socket. If you only have the one outlet, then you could use an RCBO (combined RCD and MCB). That is a neat option.
2) Replace the Double 13A Socket with one that has a built-in RCD.

Both are decent options. The 2nd is probably the easiest to do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Cheers
New Plug looks right

Old one exposed to the elements? Well, yes it is, but only when not in use though. Having a flap or cover is always a good idea.

You have a couple of choices regarding RCD options. And yes, you should definately have one inside your van.
1) Fit an RCD between the EHU Plug and the Socket. If you only have the one outlet, then you could use an RCBO (combined RCD and MCB). That is a neat option.
2) Replace the Double 13A Socket with one that has a built-in RCD.

Both are decent options. The 2nd is probably the easiest to do.
Legend nice one. 2nd option it is! Guess it might be worth checking if my actual double socket has an rcd built in anyway haha. I didn't know that was a thing so if that's the case, then it's a non-issue and all I need to do is fit the new ehu socket.

Cheers dude!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts