VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I'm a 16 year old Lad, and like a lot of lads my age, I'm buzzing that I'll be legal to drive next year :)

And like most lads my age again, insurance is a killer, out of curiosity, I did a quote on a T4 that my dads friend owns and has stored in my dads unit for the last 4 years, can't remember off the top of my head but its either a 800 or 888 special? 1.9 td panel van. It's been there so long my dad can't even remember if it runs or not. It's been used as a bin for old bumpers for a while now. Back on track the insurance on the van is cheaper than all the usual cars (puntos, corsa, fiesta). So I'm seriously considering on making an offer on it.

I'm looking for advice on weather it would be a good idea or not, or better yet people who had them as a first car too. I've owned cars and own a car now so I've got a bit of mechanical knowledge behind me. I haven't looked into them much, but have always like the look of them lowered and with a decent set of wheels.

So if anyone has any advice, It'd be greatly appreciated. I'll post a pic of the van if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
345 Posts
All I can say is wish I could of afforded to insure a van at that age , so handy get loads of mates in travel the country as long as parking easily and going fast ain't your thing then go for if I could do it again I sure would have van

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really shocked by the insurance price, just over £1500 with mods declared, I do like going fast though, what would be the cruising speed on a 1.9td? and what can be done for cheap power, as long as it would do 70 I'll be fine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a 800special, was originally a 1.9td. cruised at 70 no problem. Previous owner drove it all over europe.

Ive since converted it to 1.9tdi from a mk3 golf (theres a guide on here) so now its got 90bhp instead of the original 68bhp.

It pulls alot better now, starts on the button and never smokes. Also gets amazing mpg...

still only realy go 70/75. any more and it starts to feel stressed and bloody noisy. Although its getting quieter as im slowly getting my carpeting done in the back (megavanmats)

I will say that im 28 now, And i realy wish id had a van when i was 17. instead i went thru loads of cars...

Vans are brilliant, cheap to run, bulletproof, people dont cut you up as they seem scared you wont brake I:

and you can fit all sorts in the back... I:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts