VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've got an issue with the horn on my T4 Transporter (1994). It was 'beeping' occasionally when I went round corners, so I took it to the garage. They dismantled, repaired the slip ring at the top of the steering column and tried replacing part of the turn signal switch. It hasn't fixed it and in fact is now much worse...it's going off about 50% of the time and is continuous with the wheel in certain positions. The steering is also much heavier. I've just taken the fuse out as a temporary measure to enable me to drive it, but has anyone else experienced this? Any clues as to what might be causing it? Any suggestions much appreciated.
Matt.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Its possible that a spring (or so ) under the horn push part of the steering wheel is missing , or broke . . . or weak, theres 4 of them .

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Its possible that a spring (or so ) under the horn push part of the steering wheel is missing , or broke . . . or weak, theres 4 of them .
also...

theres the sprung-terminal on the indicator-stalk that makes contact with the 'slipring' on the steeringwheel. this can cause issues as both the terminal & slipring can wear (age) causing earthing of the horn sustem ;)

Rich.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah i had the same problem on my t4_1991_2.4D
After taking of the steering wheel for resoldering the circuit board.
The horn whent off like there was some angry driver behind me.

After a while i saw it was the slipring.
The contactor, making contact with the slipring was wornt out as well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts