VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I love my T4 (1.9Td 800 'notspecial') but the seats are really making me think twice about flogging it!!

I think part of the problem is the bulkhead between front cab and rear section means I cant recline the drivers seat much at all...

and after a few hours sat driving in it I have just about had enough and decided Ive got to make it better!

Options??

new drivers seat? but I still may have problems reclining with the bulkhead?

or the trauma of cutting the bulkhead out which I dont want to do as its really useful!

Has anyone else found this? and if so what did you do!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mines really comfy with captains seats, I can drive all day and regularly drive 10 hours or more on a 400 mile trip to mull, I can pull over, spin my front seats round,step through to the back put the kettle on and have a brew!!Cut the bulkhead out,I cant see what would be useful about a bulkhead if its the underlying problem unless you are carrying a cement mixer and you dont want it to hit you in the back of the head if:eek: you have a crash.

·
Registered
372 Posts
hi,

i've not long got a couple of bed throws from our local B&M store to go over our seats you can get em in all sorts of styles and patterns for less than a fiver each,plus i got matching cusions - looks like a right pimp's wagon. I only got them to make my cab look a bit less van-ish (if you get me) but they transformed the comfort in the front of my van, the only problem i found is that they make the front of the van a bit too warm in the good summer heat.. can't wait for winter tho:D

maybe worth a try ?

Henley

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.
Mine isnt a swivel seat of a captains seat. Just a plain old....van seat I::D

Its not uncomfy in itself but the fact I cant recline it back does chew me off on long drives...and no, Im fit and healthy and dont have a bad back (not yet anyway....!!!!)

The bulkhead is mainly to stop various windsurf parts I often lug around or the odd engine from spanking me in the head in an emergency stop.... but I can (hopefully) live without the bulkhead if its going to make life comfier.

I will just tie down anything heavy in the back....

Is it as easy as, get a grinder out and cut it out??

Anyone do this and make a neat job of it?? (pics??))

thanks T:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
id use a spot weld drill(from a panel factors and not the **** type from the likes of machine mart) will be a lot cleaner and quieter than cutting out with a grinder and will only need a minimal dress then paint etc once out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an 800 special (not very special as you say) as my camper. It has captains revolving seats. I reckon they are a bit higher than standard van seats. Anyway, I don't get back problems on long runs and I am prone to back twinges and niggles.
Some car seats I find really bad, ones that come to mind are Vectra and Skoda Octavia. Both gave me backache in an hours drive. I can drive the van all day.
Her indoors Bora fine too.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've got captains seats in mine with a half bulkhead & find them so comfy, drove from Edinburgh to Cornwall & back in a day & not one ache or pain.

I had Saab seats in my last van & they where ace, like sitting on a sofa!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
i think its down to whether you have back probs or not. i have nerve damage in my spine and knees and could not get on with vw captains seats, found they have no support in my lower back. have fitted audi a8 leather recaros... much better:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine has a half bulkhead & factory captain seat im 6'5" & i find it the most comfy driving position ive ever had!A:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Rip out the bulkhead! If you have so much kit flying around in the back it will damage the panels from the inside anyway. Secure it and open up your van. As many here have done, I have Saab seats in mine - brilliant and loads of adjustment. T:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wierd innit, I have back problems after breaking part of my spine in an accident years ago but even with the bulkhead in & being rather tall I find the van super comfy, I got myself a bmw not so very long ago & I just can't get comfy in it at all so it's gonna get sold on me thinks.

The Saab seats really where super comfy though! T:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
ive got captains seats in my 800 spesh and i find them comfortable although hard on a long trip but a great driving position T:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts