VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just bought a lovely van I think!? I paid for it and drove it from Wales to London and it was an absolute dream!! However, yesterday morning I was driving down to Worthing and it got stuck in 4th gear! I couldnt get it out for love nor money, and eventually called a friend to tow me home. (I phoned the guy I bought it from and he told me it hadnt happened before.)

As I was stuck in fourth I was being towed with the engine on and the clutch in and after about a minute of being towed I tried again and it came out. Drove it the rest of the way no probs! (at first avoided 4th but after forgetting a few times used fourth no prob) Done some google searches and I think it may be a linkage problem.

Any ideas/ advice would be hugely appreciated. I have left the van at familys in Worthing and am going to take it for a service soon. Also if you could recomend a mechanics around that area, that would also be great..

thanks alot

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
If it is a linkage problem then its a relatively cheap fix if you dont mind getting your hands dirty.
Its not too hard, just tricky as some bits are hard to reach.
Normally the plasticy/rubbery ball splits and falls off the end of the linkage arm on top of the gearbox.

You can get yourself a linkage kit like this on ebay (make sure its the right one for your van)

Use this guide here to help you.

After I did mine, it was like a new van !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

The linkage problem is self diagnosed. I only assume its a linkage problem based on what I have read on the internet. Has any one ever experienced this problem before? My van is a 2001 2.5tdi. I am thinking of going ahead and replacing the linkage. does any one have any advice? should I jut keep driving it as normal and see if the problem occurs again and cross that bridge when i get there?

Thankyou

1 - 3 of 3 Posts