VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our T4 2.5d acv engine 2001 van - while driving along, experiences a total loss of power but the engine is still running - we then have to coast for a bit and press the accelerator a few times and eventually it starts to rev and it then drives ok. We tried a new fuel filter. Dealer says it may be ecu but we're not sure. this happens randomly once or twice a day. Also the oil pressure alarm has been coming on for months randomly. but the pressure is ok. garage says it needs the fault to happen while in the garage for them to see what it is? Any one with any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks phil

·
Registered
538 Posts
When it happens do you get no revs at all when accelerator is pressed? I had this a while ago. I took it to local vw garage and they said it was a faulty connection on the throttle pot, they cleaned it and the van ran fine for a while then started again. A forum member called dubber advised me to check the wiring loom to the ecu.

I did this by taking off the trunking from the drivers side of the engine bay down to the ecu near the battery, this exposed the cables, i then went through each one looking for faults and found several that were chaffed through to the copper. I had to connect a couple of the really bad ones and the rest that had signs of chaffing i just went over them with insulation tape, i then bound all the cables together tightly and put the trunking back on. So far and fingers crossed i haven't had the problem since.

Over time the vibrations cause them to rub together and eventually start shorting each other.
It's worth a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.