VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

t4 lowering compensator adjustment easy

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  subzbob 
#1 ·
hey all i have a 1.9td t4 just lowered it on the back with my mrs, took about an hour, then due to reading the forum i tested the brakes.
Took her up to 20mph hit the brakes and she locked on the rear. This is no good to me as i have a rock n roll bed going in on thurs and three kids to strap in it. After reading some horror stories on here i don't fancy facing the on coming traffic.

so this is how i have cured the problem, my van has never been lowered and i have only fitted springs of about 50mm drop so pretty standard practice for you guys on here.

On to the compensator, if you lay under the van about half way down looking at the rear wish bone bushes look up and you see the compensator, it has 4 pipes going in to it also has 2x springs connected to the wishbones at either end of steel rod /bar.
You can see two nuts under/on this steel rod/bar and by undoing them it raises the steel rod/bar up and puts pressure on the springs at either end connected to the wishbones, if you have lowered your bus from 40 to 50mm and have no weight in the back mark these nuts with something and undo them one complete turn each.
I then tested my van at 20mph hit the brakes and she no longer locks up, then took the van for a 2 mile drive just breaking normally and the rear disc where as warm as you would expect for normal braking so this shows they are working.

Hope this helps its very easy to do only an adjustable spanner and tip ex needed.....

See less See more
#2 ·
nice one bobby ,,, my compensator failed on mot so i had to stip it down and get it all work ing again but i must say mine s fully converted and to be honest i ve never had a problem with the rears locking up ,, might turn the nut the other way a bit to see if it helps with my rear brakes ,, good advise though buddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.