VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m considering buying my first t4, it has 12 months mot is 1995 but has 284000 miles on the clock, is this a lot of miles? Should I not go for this?
Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Quote:
"Vw t4 transporter 1.9d mot 6/8 months needs some love" (AND ATTENTION!)
I'd also think it would need another 3 grand spending on it if you want if for more than 6-8 months!
You can see the rust on the doors, and the "S/S wheel arch covers" are a dead give-away that the arches are rotten....and that's just the outside!
New wheel arches, both inner and outer, LOTS of welding.
IF you can DIY it, I'd say 500 quid max bid.
It's also the lowest powered van EVER!

It also states "Auto"....so unless it has been maintained well (not likely looking at the pics), expect another 3-4 k bill coming your way..... :eek:
I absolutely love my auto....but it costs me around 300 quid/yr for fluid changes!
RUN away.....

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Gaz, I very much doubt a 1X engine (1.9d) has an autobox, probably fb's marketplace default as most cars advertised there are supposedly auto!

anyway.

and

are usefull, from the dvla's mot history it's not had rot failures (advisories for seatbelt mount so sill inner & outer rusting & needing replacement soon?)

as with anyhing, it's buyer beware, if you buy a secondhand vehicle you are buying someone els's problems (big or small)
the 1.9d is slow but reliable & economical, my t4 was the same (registered as a Caravelle but built as an 800special van - vw & dvla issue:rolleyes:) and regularly returned 50+mpg with mid 40's otherwise....

expect to repair whatever you buy, just remember that mecanical's are easy diy BUT bodywork is expensive & unfortunately theres too many home-welders bodging so have a good look!!

t4's rot everywhere, I welded 21 patches in the rear floor of my '95 t4 (if I'd have known I'd have chopped it all out & replaced with an 8' x 4' plate........ )
look on ebay at the available body-repair panels as this will give you an idea.
theres lots more to say but thats a start....

Rich.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having just bought my second 1x age T4 I'd say you're less likely to get rusty ones of those earlies. But yeah it's obvious in pics generally. Both mine have been solid. Looking about, all the 2.5s seemed to have rusty arches. Did they change the steel or something when they facelifted?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I’m considering buying my first t4, it has 12 months mot is 1995 but has 284000 miles on the clock, is this a lot of miles? Should I not go for this?
Thanks
Hi ive not long got my T4 TDi LWB its covered 233000 miles and its sweet as a nut , keep the engine oil changed and air filter and look a the cam belt along with water pump and G 12 , and it will be just fine .

then hit the road ,Good luck .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sold my last one with 258107 on it and sound everything, even arches/underneath. The next guy made it even better I think, they can go on for ages with the right care/service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts