VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum having just purchased a 1991 T4 - fantastic amount of info on here, I've been reading for hours!! So my dilemma, my T4 was converted from a van about 16 years ago and has clear sliding windows on both sides behind the seats and fixed clear windows in the back panels. These windows are the type that are set into the panel rather than fitting into the seam of the panel as the bonded windows do. I know that these were the norm at the time, and as such should I keep them?? There is about a 2" gap around the window to the panel seam and a poor black spray job that is wearing off. I much prefer the look of the bonded windows filling the whole panel and would like to change them, but should I stick with the originals????

Thoughts appreciated!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
The new factory fit type windows do look better, it really comes down to how much you want to spend. It will cost 70-80 quid a window for the middle and more for the rear quarters. That's new including rubbers and adhesive. Fitting cost on top or DIY.
If you want sliders, it's more again.
My advice would be to find a caravelle breaking and do a deal on all the glass.
The ones you have are aftermarket non vw windows so the van will be more desirable with vw windows fitted.
Don't forget, you will have to consider the finish internally if you change them.
Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback - just seen this from Gazhow, my van's identical to his base, same windows and I think it definitely looks way better with the new ones. My paint job is pretty much the same colour at the moment, but luckily all sound. If he's out their maybe he can tell me what he used to bring the colour back??

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103168

I'd also decided to replace the front and rear bumpers with grp to colour match, but having seen this, I'll try the hot air gun approach on the originals.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Thanks for the feedback - just seen this from Gazhow, my van's identical to his base, same windows and I think it definitely looks way better with the new ones. My paint job is pretty much the same colour at the moment, but luckily all sound. If he's out their maybe he can tell me what he used to bring the colour back??

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103168

I'd also decided to replace the front and rear bumpers with grp to colour match, but having seen this, I'll try the hot air gun approach on the originals.

Cheers
deffo get them old rubber windows out!

how handy are ya, fancy doing it ya self? If not, plenty of pros about to do this.

Colour resto, the clear coat (lacquer)has been mopped, check the detailing section out :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts