VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first contribution and complete newbie, so please don't shoot me down in flames :)
I've been looking at buying a camper of some sort for years but still not quite found the ideal van.
I need something practical enough to use fairly regularly and importantly, safely carry 2 kids.... and obviously camping in the summer.
We're a family of tent campers but getting tired of sleeping on the ground.
Budget is only really £10k ish which kind of limits my options.
Originally I was looking at a traditional T4 side conversion (with the option of awning or pop-top to sleep the kids) but I wouldn't want to strap my kids into anything other than a proper M1 crash-tested rock n roll bed... but anything like that is going to blow my budget out of the window.
So, one of the last vans I looked at was a T4 Multivan. It seems to do everything I need it to do. Safe seats for the kids. Comfy bed. Air-con & comforts and it's already properly insulated. Practical for regular use too. We don't do a lot of cooking when camping... just the odd bacon butty, so I could get away with taking out the buddy seats and adding some kind of fridge / kitchen pod and cooking outside in an awning or at the back of the van.
One thing that puts me off is a complete lack of storage for clothes / bags & bedding etc. There seems to be no way to add cupboard units. Really wishing the back seats were designed as split seats so that one could be removed leaving room for some sort of side unit for storage cupboards. I realise there's a bit of space under the seats at the back but it doesn't seem very practical to get to.
Does anyone have any practical experience of Multivans? Is storage space an issue?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
My first contribution and complete newbie, so please don't shoot me down in flames :)
I've been looking at buying a camper of some sort for years but still not quite found the ideal van.
I need something practical enough to use fairly regularly and importantly, safely carry 2 kids.... and obviously camping in the summer.
We're a family of tent campers but getting tired of sleeping on the ground.
Budget is only really £10k ish which kind of limits my options.
Originally I was looking at a traditional T4 side conversion (with the option of awning or pop-top to sleep the kids) but I wouldn't want to strap my kids into anything other than a proper M1 crash-tested rock n roll bed... but anything like that is going to blow my budget out of the window.
So, one of the last vans I looked at was a T4 Multivan. It seems to do everything I need it to do. Safe seats for the kids. Comfy bed. Air-con & comforts and it's already properly insulated. Practical for regular use too. We don't do a lot of cooking when camping... just the odd bacon butty, so I could get away with taking out the buddy seats and adding some kind of fridge / kitchen pod and cooking outside in an awning or at the back of the van.
One thing that puts me off is a complete lack of storage for clothes / bags & bedding etc. There seems to be no way to add cupboard units. Really wishing the back seats were designed as split seats so that one could be removed leaving room for some sort of side unit for storage cupboards. I realise there's a bit of space under the seats at the back but it doesn't seem very practical to get to.
Does anyone have any practical experience of Multivans? Is storage space an issue?
Had mine now for almost 17 years, its been a van, an office, a hotel room, and of course a comfortable 7 seater which is practical for everyday use too.

The great thing about this model, is you can remove the B2B seats if you want some sort of kitchen module. The rear seat is a proper bed (with storage underneath), or remove all the back seats and you have a van. Everything is quick release but factory fitted and crash tested ........................... just a great option, if that was not the case I would not have kept mine so long.

Anyone who knows me, understands why I rave about it. If you do manage to find a good one, and thay are out there, it's also a pretty solid investment (well as far as T4's go) :mw:mw:mw

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the replies already! I suppose they are built to be versatile which really appeals to me (as we probably only camp once / twice a year) and I'll be getting rid of a car to make room for it on the drive, so need it to be practical.
Probably just the storage issue that's putting me off slightly - Wish there was a bit more of an option for storage cabinets.
As I say, a split rear seat would make it even more versatile. I can't think why VW didn't do that.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Many thanks for the replies already! I suppose they are built to be versatile which really appeals to me (as we probably only camp once / twice a year) and I'll be getting rid of a car to make room for it on the drive, so need it to be practical.
Probably just the storage issue that's putting me off slightly - Wish there was a bit more of an option for storage cabinets.
As I say, a split rear seat would make it even more versatile. I can't think why VW didn't do that.
Offhand I can't think of any 7 seater MPV's with storage cabinets :D

Camping trailer as shown, or roofbox could be your best friend ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair, I travel very light so don't have much to store...... the wife & kids are a different matter :)
A fridge is more important to me (after many years under canvas this is one luxury I look forward to).
Storage might have to be.... chuck your bags in the awning :ILU:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
To be fair, I travel very light so don't have much to store...... the wife & kids are a different matter :)
A fridge is more important to me (after many years under canvas this is one luxury I look forward to).
Storage might have to be.... chuck your bags in the awning :ILU:
I know what you mean I only need a knotted handkerchief and a pole.

If you were going to festivals or events every weekend, it may be a different matter.

In terms of T4's, I can only describe it as the 'best all rounder' the factory produced. If you were searching LHD you could have a factory fitted pop top too (I have never seen that option on a RHD vehicle .... but someone will prove me wrong!), and a shed load more options, as the later Multivan II is an even nicer place to be.

Mine has a whole list of 'factory fitted options', but a basic one with history and excellent condition would be just perfect.

The search is on .................... *<:)>

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not wishing to burst your bubble but....

I have a multivan, it's great, however:

1, Comfy the bed is not. Better for sitting than sleeping due to the sculpted shape. I put a memory foam mattress topper on when using as a bed which improves things

2, Not insulated. Might have plastic trim but there's very little behind it. I'm planning on taking out the trim from mine, insulating it and then putting the trim back to maintain the looks.

Make yourself a removable cooker unit to replace one of the B2B seats and you'll be sorted.

Or buy a panel van and then kit it out yourself as a bespoke multivan, with aftermarket r'n'r bed etc. More work but you'll have more choice buying the base vehicle as genuine multivans are a bit rare. I think economically you'd have to do the work yourself, many people contract the work out, but that is megga bucks in my opinion.

Whatever you do, good luck, it's fun!T:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Not wishing to burst your bubble but....

I have a multivan, it's great, however:

1, Comfy the bed is not. Better for sitting than sleeping due to the sculpted shape. I put a memory foam mattress topper on when using as a bed which improves things

2, Not insulated. Might have plastic trim but there's very little behind it. I'm planning on taking out the trim from mine, insulating it and then putting the trim back to maintain the looks.

Make yourself a removable cooker unit to replace one of the B2B seats and you'll be sorted.

Or buy a panel van and then kit it out yourself as a bespoke multivan, with aftermarket r'n'r bed etc. More work but you'll have more choice buying the base vehicle as genuine multivans are a bit rare. I think economically you'd have to do the work yourself, many people contract the work out, but that is megga bucks in my opinion.

Whatever you do, good luck, it's fun!T:

Tickety, I agree but for light use it gets you the best of all worlds, and only a small compromise, depending on the creature comforts you require.

If you want real comfort my Brother just got back from a little buying spree in Hamburg, and we have a 2015 Hymer for sale but that is going to be £60k LOL:

I guess you get what you pay for, but I know you also have a caravan T:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yep, T4 towing a caravan, does it for me every time :)
I have a Velle which I have done a basic fold out sleeping platform when you fold the rear seat down (as T4Chippy's and a few others- not wishing to take the creditI:) I tow a caravan with it. Cheaper and easier to get hold of than a multivan and a flat bed thing, along with climatronic, velour seats etc. Use the caravan for long holidays, the velle for very short trips with a made up unit in place of the centre seats.

Mulivans are nice though....

·
Registered
239 Posts
They're on ebay Scruff. Just like the electrically heated ones too much and it's a faff to swap them over; having to take door cards off.

I tried to put them in classifieds but I haven't paid my subscriptions so couldn't do that

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loads of space under those seats. We go away as a family of 4 and can get an awning and 4 peoples worth of clothing.

That looks like a good-un Needsta... If I could only find one to buy like that!
Seems more tricky doing searches for Multivans online - Never sure if they're going to be listed under 'motorhomes' or MPVs/cars. Have seen a few listed under the Caravelle section on Autotrader :*

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
They're on ebay Scruff. Just like the electrically heated ones too much and it's a faff to swap them over; having to take door cards off.

I tried to put them in classifieds but I haven't paid my subscriptions so couldn't do that
Tickety, yes I was interested in trying some myself. But this time of the year the heated will come into their own, and not having to keep removing the door cards is one less worry!

How are you with the suspension these days ................. I miss the entertainment LOL: LOL:

Enjoy Sunday

Scruff!

·
Registered
239 Posts
How are you with the suspension these days ................. I miss the entertainment LOL: LOL:

Scruff!
I've learnt to live with the suspension now Scruff, as people kept telling me, it is a van! Having driven quite a few different cars recently I've come to the conclusion the van's not so bad actually, it's the roads T:

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,418 Posts
We went for a multivan for similar reasons to the OP.

We've had three two week holidays in it now and as a family of four I have to say it's a bit of a squeeze. But we manage.

Clothes are packed in smallish bags, each family member has their own, and these are transferred between the parcel shelf when on the move and front seats when parked up. Bedding is also put on the parcel shelf when travelling. The girls sleeping bags stay laid out on the pop top bed.

Cooking, eating utensils and food that doesn't go in the fridge goes underneath the rear seat and can usually be got at from the tailgate. However if the weather is really grim then you can access it from under the rear seat if you pull it forward.

The pod has the fridge at the bottom and a little storage behind the hob where we keep all the stuff that you need quick access to. The kettle tea coffee etc.

It's a lot of moving stuff from one place to another whenever you want to drive but you get into a routine like any camping holiday. If we're staying in one place for more than four/five days then we pitch the awning and decamp into that. Otherwise we hope for good weather so the kids can get out from under our feet and go and play outside.

This year we bought a sun canopy and wind break. This takes up less space in the boot/under the seats but gives us an out door space if it rains so a good compromise. Just like the bus T:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

Had my Multivan since new...best vehicle ever. Tugs a dirty big caravan when going on holiday with ease, or for the odd weekend, such as the New Forest Monkey Bike run, carry the bike in the back, still have all 7 seats, set up a Basha to sit under when not in van and fold out the bed for sleeping in the dry. A:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts