VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Thanks for letting me join your online family.
I have many questions and will be picking your collective knowledge from now and until my T4 dies

For today I have just 2 questions

first question,
I am about to take ownership of a T4 2000, is there anything that I should be aware of straight off the bat, I have owned a transporter in the past but this was a T2, well in fact 2 Vw's, one a T2 camper the other as I said was a transporter with double sliding doors, these are a different beast to the T4

Second question
Where do you suggest the best place to buy parts.

Thanks in advance
STARK1966

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,884 Posts
Bienvenu,

1st thing...RUST!!!!
Check underneath, wheel arches, cills, etc.

These vans DO rust.....but many go for 17-18 years before it appears (like mine....no signs last year, this year both front door cills and one inner arch had a fist size hole in it :eek:
Check the outer sections of the arches....if there is rust on them, expect worse inside!

What engine?
The 2.4D is a "donkey"...will "walk" forever.....(Don't expect more that 80km/h uphill)
The 2.5TDi is the best (most say, but not everyone).
1.9D is an "escargot"...(same as the 2.4D, but worse!)
1.9TD (conversions often) are good.

For parts.....depends what you need.
German ebay will have the best selection, but I think you also have the "International" dealers that sell all over Europe.
They have a good system.....you enter the registration details, and their computer sorts out what parts fit your van.....95% accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bienvenu,

Sorry this is a bit slow, but i am in France and my son is in blighty and the van is coming from Ireland.

He has informed me that the van is 1.9TD.

Is there anything mechanical that we should be aware of?

Thanks for the details regarding the parts, that's really useful.

Stark1966

1 - 4 of 4 Posts