VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T4 non start
Hi guys. Having an awful time getting my van to start.
I have a 1997 T4 1.9 TD ABL.
Last week I went out to start the van and it wouldn’t go, I thought maybe a battery issue, so i borrowed a jump pack, after much calling over it fired into life.
So I took her a long drive thinking it was the battery.
Got home, left it 30 mins and went back out. Started first time, no issues.
Got up for work the next day, Van wouldn’t start. It’s turning over, seems to be getting fuel, it’s almost as if it’s immobilised. I had the belts done in April and it’s ran like a sweety, up until last week.
RAC recovered it to my local VW dealership, they’re taking about stripping the timing down, which I don’t really fancy happening @ £100 an hour.

Does anyone have any suggestions or came across a similar issue ?

I’ll attach some videos once I work out how.

Thanks team.......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Might be wrong, but wouldn't the commonly mentioned key immobiliser issue show these symptoms? i.e. turning over but no starting.

VCDS flags it if you have it, and I read somewhere people could try their spare key (if it exists that is), however the some posts on this mention the transponder surrounding the ignition barrel. Below in case it helps, good luck!

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=453976

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,954 Posts
Immobiliser usually allows the van to start, then cut out after a second or two.

Problem I had (on a 2.5TDi) was that the tensioner for the pump belt failed...allowing the belt to slip a cog or 3.

IF the belts/pulleys were genuine VW, you have a warranty on them....2-3 years I think. T:

If a back street garage only changed the belts...nothing you can do. :eek:

Another problem I had, was the battery.
Engine cranked over fine, but problems in winter.
Found the battery had a duff cell......enough power to crank the engine, but NOT enough to get the glow plugs hot.
2.5 WILL start without plugs...even at -20C....but takes a long time to fire.
The 1.9 won't.
Check the plugs are getting 12 volts to them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
T4 non start
Hi guys. Having an awful time getting my van to start.
I have a 1997 T4 1.9 TD ABL.
Last week I went out to start the van and it wouldn’t go, I thought maybe a battery issue, so i borrowed a jump pack, after much calling over it fired into life.
So I took her a long drive thinking it was the battery.
Got home, left it 30 mins and went back out. Started first time, no issues.
Got up for work the next day, Van wouldn’t start. It’s turning over, seems to be getting fuel, it’s almost as if it’s immobilised. I had the belts done in April and it’s ran like a sweety, up until last week.
RAC recovered it to my local VW dealership, they’re taking about stripping the timing down, which I don’t really fancy happening @ £100 an hour.

Does anyone have any suggestions or came across a similar issue ?

I’ll attach some videos once I work out how.

Thanks team.......
This is an old school Diesel engine with no electronics. Fuel, Air and compression at the right time means it should run. Is it getting fuel? Is there air in the fuel supply pipe?

·
Registered
540 Posts
if you haveing the problem after the van has stood overnight the it could be a leak in the fuel system allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank, you can try and run it from a can of diesel via the fuel line at the filter to test it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
check the glow plug fuse.Left hand side of the engine bay behind a little black cap bolted on the inner wing.Change the fuel filter.Do the easy cheap things first before spending £100 an hour:eek: on something that it might not be.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't see as its timing because it wouldn't be intermittent.

When I had this problem the fuel was draining back. Fitting a priming bulb before the filter sorted it as it acts a one way valve. It later turned out that the injection pump was leaking which would have accounted for the earlier problem.

The immobiliser is easy to by. So easy its hardly worth bothering to have one!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
This is an old school Diesel engine with no electronics

The 1.9TD ABL has a 2 part digital immobiliser - the main unit is buried in the dash with a slave module mounted on the pump.

OP: the slave module suffers from dry joints & commonly causes inter starting. The slave module is the black lump on the rear of the fuel pump - tap it with a long bar to diagnose, if the van now starts disable the factory immob - remove slave module (I wont say how) from pump & connect the now exposed fuel shutoff valve to switched ignition.

VCDS flags it if you have it
No ODBII on the ABL - No ECU on the IDI engines.

Immobiliser usually allows the van to start, then cut out after a second or two.
Different immob on the ABL Gaz, it won't fire at all when armed or faulty.

The immobiliser is easy to by. So easy its hardly worth bothering to have one!
The ABL immob can only be bypassed by smashing something - there is no ECU, the Ebay boxes don't work with this engine.

HH

·
Registered
84 Posts
The ABL immob can only be bypassed by smashing something - there is no ECU, the Ebay boxes don't work with this engine.

HH
We bypassed mine with a simple wiring modification when we re assembled after rebuilding the injection pump. I didn't actually do that bit, but it was simple and didn't involve any demolition work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so i spoke to the garage and asked them to do some brief checks on the electrics before going all out and ripping the timing to bits.
Annnnnd.
Turns out the the pre heater switch relay hidden up behind my fuse box was done in and a few wires were crispy.
So.
Ripped all the old wiring out, re fitted new wiring and a relay, cleaned up some of the mess and tidied the wiring away but made it more accessible (in case of emergency)
Starting like a dream now.

Happy I came here first.
All your suggestions made me think it couldn’t be mechanical.
Far too many coincidental and commonish issues stemming from old electrics.

So thanks everyone.
£60 bill from the garage.
Sorted and back on the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts