VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've just sold my splity (great to look at but really rubbish to drive) and have and am looking for a new van. Thing is I'm not sure weather to go for a T4 or T5. I like the idea of a 2.5 T4 but my wife would like a T5. I'm a bit old fashoned and like the basic rugged quality of the older T4 engine and have heard loads of negative things about the new T5. Any advice ?? Also is it worth paying extra for a multivan/caravelle if I plan to do a home camper convertion ?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You sold your split because wanted something better to drive ......... No brainer...T5 T:

·
Registered
317 Posts
if you buy a t4, concidering buying either, you'll start thinking about driving a t5, go for the 5

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
You will miss the character in a T5 and get bored, go for a T4 which still has some of the character and is much better to drive than your old bus. If you want something that wont depreciate over the years, look at Multivans T:T:T:T:

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
My first question would be is it or will it ever carry your kids in it? As that'll influence seat belt attachment and chassis readiness. The multivan is certainly practical and as jimmyjames says hold its value if it's left as is. The caravelle or kombi have the better seat belt attachments but the caravelles insulation isn't as good as something you can do yourself. Depends what its use will be at the end of the day.

The T4 is a good drive with up to date engine choices and reasonable mpg/performance. But can't compare T5 or T4 as I haven't driven the T5. But they're older so will likely need more looking after but cheaper for parts.

Sounds like you and your wife need to write down what you're each needing from this van and go from there.
Which ever you choose good luck with your search. T:

·
Registered
354 Posts
You will always get a polarising difference of opinion on this forum.
Personally, we used to have a T4 and loved it, however, it was always breaking down, was slow and uncomfortable to drive.
After upgrading to our T5, we've never looked back! :ILU:

That said, there are others on the forum that will say the exact opposite.

Test drive a few and make your own mind up. Either way, you'll end up with a great bus!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments-

I think I've decided to go for a T4 but I'm not sure which one I like the all round glass in a caravelle but they seem quit a bit more money than just getting a pannel van, ( I've seen an 03 2.5 tdi with 160k ish for £4500 ) insulating it , having the first set of cargo pannels glazed then kitting the inside out for about £1500-£2000. The advantage of this is I would get exactally the lay out I want. I did it once before in a bay window and it seemed OK. I also like the idea of the non intercooler engine as I tend these days to only dawdle around and don't really think I need the real get up and go of the more complicated engine. what do you think ?

Ps Is there much advantage in the LWB re layout v driveability

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the comments-

I think I've decided to go for a T4 but I'm not sure which one I like the all round glass in a caravelle but they seem quit a bit more money than just getting a pannel van, ( I've seen an 03 2.5 tdi with 160k ish for £4500 ) insulating it , having the first set of cargo pannels glazed then kitting the inside out for about £1500-£2000. The advantage of this is I would get exactally the lay out I want. I did it once before in a bay window and it seemed OK. I also like the idea of the non intercooler engine as I tend these days to only dawdle around and don't really think I need the real get up and go of the more complicated engine. what do you think ?

Ps Is there much advantage in the LWB re layout v driveability
Lwb are only around a foot longer, but it makes a big difference to the workable space inside, also looks wicked once the van is lowered. I think they are harder to find than the swb. I drive a 2.5 lwb now and it drives great. Do it.

T4s have soul. :ILU:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts