VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I don't have a rear window and all that space on the rear tailgate inside not being used, I thought up this idea but although this has been finished I can already see a way to improve it slightly.

These sprung loaded hooks are from the boot of a B5 Passat saloon, they may also be in the estate versions too, I know Reimo sell these somewhere in the region of £30, I got mine for £5 from a local scrappers.

This is the bracket I made on the rear, I know the screws are a bit long, this will be altered. As I set it up so high I had to step the top part to fit between the rear of the board the metalwork of the tailgate.

Both fitted and ready to fit in the van now.

Almost like it was meant to be there.

One of a pair of ratchet straps from Ikea, makes the whole thing even cheaper.

This is what I designed it to do, I probably could have moved them out a little bit further to fit the boards flush against the tailgate. It might pay me to fit a further pair near the bottom of the tailgate as supporting the boards while I ratcheted it up was a bit of a ball ache. These could also be used for hanging wetsuits off of, hanging a screen across, nightlights, etc, the list is endless.

Hope it gives someone some inspiration or help, it's my first real mod to my van, probably the first of many.

Enjoy

Alex
passattdi

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
That is exceptionally clever and very smart, well done mate.T:

Even though I can't see myself doing this on my tailgate (windowed version) I have few ideas forming about the use of those neat looking recessed hooks from the Passats as they look well smart and as you say just look so OEM.

The only down side I suppose is sourcing them, scrap yard challenge on the horizon me thinks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
just got two of these hooks off ebay £3 each
item number 150554501278

now all i need is the ply tailgate instead of the rubbish cardboard one I have

roll on Lobb Field
:ILU::ILU::ILU::ILU:

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for the comments, if you're at the Volksworld Show on Sunday come and say Hi.

I'll hopefully be parked in the front car park and having lunch in the van with my mate and the kids, there are always some quality cars and vans in the car park too.

Think another trip to the scrappers for another pair of those hooks is in order.

Cheers

Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts