VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...newbie here.

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered a thousand times but.... We are just about ready to buy our first grown up van having just sold our beloved T2.

In your opinion, which is better T4 or T5. We are looking at a 2.5 TDI 2002 - 2006 depending on budget. And why should we get one over the other.

To tell the truth, we have mainly been looking at T4's but with just a little extra money we can have a newer T5, should we?

Thanks for your help.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
T4 for me but thats a personal thing, but i would have a T5 if it looked like jefs or rods may be I:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've driven a good few T4's and T5's recently, I'm in the market for one after selling my 1999, 1.9TD T4 and changing it for a Passat estate, BIGGGGGGGGGGG mistake, and now getting back in to a T4 in the next few weeks.

Not sure how many I've driven but a good few, my preference is for the T4, as good as the T5 is, and they are the dogs wotsits, I just keep coming back to the T4.

My advice, get out there and drive lots, get a feel for the different engines, trims etc.

I settled on a 2003, 2.5 TDI, ex motabilily, low mileage, full VW service history, cam belt and pump changed, lift taken out and a great deal.

I is well happy, even happier when I get it next week :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have now gone over to the darkside with a 174 T5 and trust me i love it i do miss the old T4 they do have a certain character that is nice and they really look cool too once lowered and big wheels and nothing cost as much as it does for the t5 which makes modding much easier and affordable and if i could have the monks van id have it tomorow too that or John eames.

Hope this might help with the thoughts

Mike.... T:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
any t4 will be at least 5 years old- although the engines run and run- I still feel go as new as you can
Just my personal view from a t4 owner (1999) who has had a new gearbox,break caliper and other bits and bobs which have failed in the last year!
now looking for a t5

·
Registered
75 Posts
Baba,

I have a 2002 T4 2.5 TDI 102bhp, factory van for sale. Factory sliding windows, factory n/s swivel seat (never seen one before), factory 102bhp engine, factory dragon green paint, captains seats straight from factory, lowered on passat 1.8T alloys, uprated shocks, tint windows, smoked lights, high power head light bulbs and the list goes on.

And.....................

It's for sale. pm me.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had a 2003 t5 lovely van to drive BUT the crank snapped, yes snapped at 39,000 ( belive it or not!) it had never been thrashed, no need to thrash a t5 excellent gearing, been serviced regulaly, wasnt under gaurantee so had to sell as it was caus vw wanted £4,000! I could not locate a 2nd hand engine any where in the u.k, another point is too many electrics to go wrong, i had 2 door locking solinoids replaced, new main icu replaced, i wiper motor, i think thats bad for a van used for private use only and done only 39,000 ( i know i am an unlucky b******) any way i have gone back to a swb t4 van 1.9 td done 41,000 i can do jobs on it myself including service it, and i am over the moon ! good luck on your decision :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have now gone over to the darkside with a 174 T5 and trust me i love it i do miss the old T4 they do have a certain character that is nice and they really look cool too once lowered and big wheels and nothing cost as much as it does for the t5 which makes modding much easier and affordable and if i could have the monks van id have it tomorow too that or John eames.

Hope this might help with the thoughts

Mike.... T:

As would some punctuation, bloody hell almost passed out reading that! ;)

Anyway; I like em both when done well but the cost of T5's both initially and mod wise precludes me at present.

Having said that I do prefer the lower eurobreadbin look of the T4 over the T5 anyday!

:D

Vyper

1 - 20 of 30 Posts