VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ILU:hi guys n galls am thinkin of investing in a t4 think theyre cool!
just wanted to ask which is the the best engine model to get, want summat with a bit of poke but economical at the same time, plus must b cheap on tax

any info would b greatly apreciatedT:

·
Registered
472 Posts
doesn't really matter what engine you go for they are all good engines diesel or petrol ,the main thing is too get a van thats been really well maintained,with plenty of history.
just go for the cleanest ,best looked after van you can find for the money,thats what i did,i'd rather have a mint low mileage 1.9 td than a battered up later 2,.5 tdi with s--t loads of miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fanx 4 the advice big bazza but can the 1.9s handle the weight of the van? i've got a mk3 golf tdi at mo n its very poky but with the weight of the vans not sure if it would stress the engines nuts off

nice ride georgy boy but about 5grand outa my price range i'm afraid! gud luk with the sale

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
doesn't really matter what engine you go for they are all good engines diesel or petrol ,the main thing is too get a van thats been really well maintained,with plenty of history.
just go for the cleanest ,best looked after van you can find for the money,thats what i did,i'd rather have a mint low mileage 1.9 td than a battered up later 2,.5 tdi with s--t loads of miles
:* good advice that T:

·
Registered
129 Posts
We've recently bought our first T4 - a 1.9. Not the quickest in the world but it gets us where we want to goT: I guess it depends what you want out of your van? We wanted a van we could use for weekends away, stick the bikes, baby and dog in and head off when we fancied - it does exactly that.
T:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
fanx 4 the advice big bazza but can the 1.9s handle the weight of the van? i've got a mk3 golf tdi at mo n its very poky but with the weight of the vans not sure if it would stress the engines nuts off

nice ride georgy boy but about 5grand outa my price range i'm afraid! gud luk with the sale
You could always do away wiv the golf and put the engine from that in the van! much better than the ABL in the 1.9's:D
What about swapping the two over ie TDI in the van & ABL in the golf so you still got both veh's? Intercooler system already fitted in golf so no messing around there and then you can fit a bigger one in the van.......................just a thought. surely if ya can put a TDI from a mk3 golf straight into a T4 , must be able to do the same the other way round??????

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ive drove them all 1.9, 1.9td, 2.4 and 2.5tdi of course there is a difference in the power outputs but as mentioned before they are all good engines.

Im currently driving a 2.4 and my brother a 1.9td and they do what we want spot on.

Just make sure that what ever one you go for as been well serviced.

Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could always do away wiv the golf and put the engine from that in the van! much better than the ABL in the 1.9's:D
What about swapping the two over ie TDI in the van & ABL in the golf so you still got both veh's? Intercooler system already fitted in golf so no messing around there and then you can fit a bigger one in the van.......................just a thought. surely if ya can put a TDI from a mk3 golf straight into a T4 , must be able to do the same the other way round??????
:eek: good finkin marty could look for a good van with blown engine (cheep of course!) and hey presto, coz my golfs only worth about £600 and engine pulls like a train flies up hills in 5th

·
Registered
472 Posts

mines a 1.9 td,not very pokey as standard but after a few (free) tweaks it goes really well ,ive had the turbo boost and fuelling turned up,and id say it aint far off an 88 bhp 2.5 tdi ,get rid of the cat and get a decent air filter as well and you'll be laughing

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP. (Hope its not the Titanic)
I'm reluctant to go Diesel despite its advantages. I know Petrol will be less economical but i'm looking to find out how well they lend themselves to LPG conversions. (Champagne fuel for supermarket lager money)
My last Bus and current car run on it and its the danglies of the dog in my opinion. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts