VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I'm looking at a t4 1993 1.8 petrol with 164k mot till 5th next year, no advisory
Looks in good nic, had respray 18 mths ago too.
Want £3000 for it, I'm bit stuck as I use to have a t4 diesel but know nothing about petrol as in keep away ?? Too high milage ??
Hope some one knows,
Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I'm looking at a t4 1993 1.8 petrol with 164k mot till 5th next year, no advisory
Looks in good nic, had respray 18 mths ago too.
Want £3000 for it, I'm bit stuck as I use to have a t4 diesel but know nothing about petrol as in keep away ?? Too high milage ??
Hope some one knows,
Thanks.
Are you sure its not a 2 liter

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 95 t4 2.0 petrol. Goes well easy to service and think less to go wrong with than diesel. Is this fully fitted or had some work as £3k seems a lot for a basic van. Mine was £1200 with 18" bbs rims already on it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, no it's fitted out as a camper, rock n roll, and units etc, main thing I was worried about was 160k plus miles on a petrol engine and are they any good ? As for price this is cheep compared to what elce I can find :-( all about £5 k and diesel . seems to be if a bus is for sale in Devon or cornwall it's like add 5k to what it's worth lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well going to have a look tomorrow at her, drive etc, I think my worrys were why is she so cheep, and this lead me to think that being petrol with 160 plus it must be a bag of nails ? But maybe not, I'm just use to seeing diesels going for £5k plus like the one I had and sold,

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
there were some 1.8's built between 1991 and 1993.

Engine is based on the 1.8 Golf complete with Peirburg carburetor.

I had one. Super easy to run and maintain but massively underpowered. That said it will cruise on the motorway at 65mph nicely but struggle on the hills.

Unique bus as there wont be many round. Mileage shouldn't be an issue. Tough as old boots engine with nearly nothing to go wrong.

Top tip look into dumping the carb, go fuel injection and bolt on a supercharger with stand alone engine management. Not cheap but 200bhp is easily within reach

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hummmm that's good to know, I use to have a bay so not worryied about going fast up a hill lol, as long as I get there that's fine :) as long as it gets me through next year, festivals etc that's cool, I can look at mods, engine etc winter after, :) good info thanks :)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
These are basically a detuned gti engine, and I know gti's with 250k plus on the clocks, so ignore the stuff about diesels lasting longer!

Thirsty thou, I'd expect mid 20s on petrol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts