VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

i'm looking to fit rear Air Suspension to my T4 Compass Navigator motorhome to aiist when towing.

i need to fabricate the brackets that sit top and bottom of the air bags .

can anyone with a kit please post some photo's so i can get idea of design and knock some together T:

cheers

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
We do yep, they're same price or in fact quite a bit less once you factor in the shipping, duty and VAT. Not to mention the UK support :)
http://www.air-lift.co.uk/product.php?unique_id=451

No need to weld or bolt in anything, they just sit inside the rear springs and are surprisingly effective. Although if you have lowering springs you may need to make some minor alterations to make them work.

Alternatively if you're looking for a full rear air setup there are a few ways around it, ours are now all CNC machined but you could get away with flat plates if you're not looking to retain the spring locators.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do yep, they're same price or in fact quite a bit less once you factor in the shipping, duty and VAT. Not to mention the UK support :)

No need to weld or bolt in anything, they just sit inside the rear springs and are surprisingly effective. Although if you have lowering springs you may need to make some minor alterations to make them work.

Alternatively if you're looking for a full rear air setup there are a few ways around it, ours are now all CNC machined but you could get away with flat plates if you're not looking to retain the spring locators.
Mine isn't lowerec its a T4 compass navigator so carries alot of weight

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick question about your kit .

The video shows it inserted vertically wiyhin the spring , but the drawing shows it horizontally mounted within the spring.

Cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
No problem, the first kit we ever supplied was on a standard height T4 based Karmann Gypsy I believe. Although saying that I would be inclined to say a more heavy duty air bag would give you more support, the red bags work nicely but they are designed for the standard T4 chassis in terms of vehicle weights.

It's worth having a search around to see how the old AA van bags were mounted too, those are a little bit more heavy duty so they might work better for you. We don't have the brackets for them but the bags we keep on the shelf if that helps at all.

Edit: The T4 kit mounts horizontally, it looks weird I know!

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem, the first kit we ever supplied was on a standard height T4 based Karmann Gypsy I believe. Although saying that I would be inclined to say a more heavy duty air bag would give you more support, the red bags work nicely but they are designed for the standard T4 chassis in terms of vehicle weights.

It's worth having a search around to see how the old AA van bags were mounted too, those are a little bit more heavy duty so they might work better for you. We don't have the brackets for them but the bags we keep on the shelf if that helps at all.

Edit: The T4 kit mounts horizontally, it looks weird I know!
Do you do a more heavy duty bag that fits in the spring .

Cheers

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

That's a really good price. I'm very tempted. Would these work with something like a Range Rover compressor?

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's a really good price. I'm very tempted. Would these work with something like a Range Rover compressor?
I should think it could be plumbed in somehow? The air line coming off the bags is 1/4" OD but they come with inline Schrader valves so they can be inflated with a tyre pump. I'm sure I've heard of it being done before, just not entirely sure what connectors you might need.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I should think it could be plumbed in somehow? The air line coming off the bags is 1/4" OD but they come with inline Schrader valves so they can be inflated with a tyre pump. I'm sure I've heard of it being done before, just not entirely sure what connectors you might need.
I've just spotted that you do the load controller II kit. Do you do a forum discount?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts