VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sorry to say that looking at the state of all the hub, disc, calliper, that is bad servicing. With decent regular servicing it shouldnt have got that bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like the callipers aren’t sliding across when the piston pushes on the back disc. Usually rust in the slide mechanism/pin. Looks bad with all that rust. I have seen this on most cars I have owned but after seeing this I might be checking my rear callipers this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. A loud grinding noise started coming from my rear brakes recently. You can only hear it on slow speeds.
I had a look at the disc brakes and the problem is obvious.
View attachment 206725

Both rear discs are very rusty but the van is being driven daily. So I imagine there must be a problem with calipers not functioning properly. Do you have any ideas what could have caused all this rust build up?

Thanks.
I have had a similar problem, so changed the discs, pads and protectors. I also once found a loose piece of brake pad lining between the disc and protector...two garages failed to spot it.. DIY is sometimes best!

I also noticed that when I'd washed the van, being bare metal, the disc corrosion starts almost immediately (especially if using acid wheel cleaner) and if the van isn't driven for a week or so after it can take hold which can pick up brake pad material so, just as a precaution, I drive it up the road and back to warm the brakes, getting rid of any moisture before sitting back with a beer to admire your prize possession! :cool:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just thought on this today whilst doing a service and got to the rear brakes.

in my humble opinion and others may disagree, the pic below shows what I would expect it to look like after servicing and it should apart from a bit of dust, stay more or less in this condition untill the next service when it gets the same treatment. Also note the thin layer of grease on the hubs, especially important with alloy wheels.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Snout

Reptile Automotive tire Scaled reptile Gas Hood

·
Registered
T4 2000 1.9td ABL
115 Posts
Just thought on this today whilst doing a service and got to the rear brakes.

in my humble opinion and others may disagree, the pic below shows what I would expect it to look like after servicing and it should apart from a bit of dust, stay more or less in this condition untill the next service when it gets the same treatment. Also note the thin layer of grease on the hubs, especially important with alloy wheels. View attachment 207004
View attachment 207003
Stuff looks crispy.
Just did an emergency service on one front brake which got stuck and heated, wd-40 as grease in the cylinder. Worked like a charm, for a week or two I guess...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts