VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI have a t4 2.5 tdi 2000 model with a hissing noise coming from brake area, stops when you push down, someone has mentioned that servo is on its way out or a rubber seal can be replaced to rectify the hiss?
The hiss has been annoying me for 7 mths and its about time to sort out.
cheers

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Some people here will tell you that greasing the servo shaft ( inside the bellows ) is a cure - it isn't, it's a bodge & it just leaks quietly afterwards. ( hissing servo is an MOT fail )
The servo is quite tricky to change on a short nose 2.5 tdi - it jams between the screen wiper mech & the dipstick tube; thankfully the new replacement part is slightly smaller; I would recommend changing the master cylinder while you've got it in in pieces T:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought one with this fault too. was fine on test drive and then SSSSSSSSSS when i braked hard 1/4 mile from home after a 100 mile journey. Thought it'd been silently overheating then blown or i'd had a blow out..
I read another thread that said to wrap insulating tape around end of that grey baffle behind pedal. I pressed the seal as hard as i could then secured with little tape. Very temp fix though as going to garage next thursday.
Let me lknow your outcome,
cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
I replaced mine with one from a scappy...quite an easy job. £60 for the part...you can just unbolt the master cylinder and squeeze the servo past (carefully). Sure there's a guide on here somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts