VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum so please be patient!! I'm hoping to purchase a 2003 T4 California freestyle in the next few months and I'm having trouble finding out for sure details on the specification. The reason for this is that these campers are getting old now and that a lot of the information is in German.
What I'm really trying to learn is which of the additional options available for the T4 can be retro fitted.
One item I'm particularly interested in is the factory fitted Sat-nav/Tv, CD Changer.
I'm also interested in the factory fitted phone kit.
I understand that these items may be obsolete but I'm kinda into this kind of stuff and when I buy my camper I'd like to fit as much genuine spec items as I can.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,143 Posts
Use Google to translate the German.
I'd be very surprised if ANY of the "options" were still available new.

Factory fitted 'phone kit.....LOL:.....you'll need to troll eBay for weeks to find a 'phone old enough to work with it.....remember, this was all pre-BlueTooth stuff.

Sat-Nav was in a box that almost took all the under seat space up.....and had maps that included the Old Roman Way (A1) and various farm tracks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply, yes I have been translating some of the information I have found so far. I have some Nokia 6310I's kept so I'm ok on the phone front.
I thought that the sat-nav was a double din dash unit, MFD 1???

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Use Google to translate the German.
I'd be very surprised if ANY of the "options" were still available new.

Factory fitted 'phone kit.....LOL:.....you'll need to troll eBay for weeks to find a 'phone old enough to work with it.....remember, this was all pre-BlueTooth stuff.

Sat-Nav was in a box that almost took all the under seat space up.....and had maps that included the Old Roman Way (A1) and various farm tracks!
Gaz nothing wrong with Nokia 6310i's I still use one, and YES it is bluetooth. They are readily available in re-con form and still pop up on eBay 'new boxed', from time to time ........ the first true 'triband' phone ;)

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,143 Posts
Didn't remember the Nokia 6310i had BlueTooth....I never used the option, and passed the 'phone on to my parents.
I use a 6230i in the van....99.9% just lives on the dash.
Can't stand the smart phones...they are so "smart", they don't respond to my electrically numb fingers on the screen....dumped my Samsung one and bought a Nokia 105 last year....works perfect, as a PHONE T:
Cost £19.99, and came with £15 credit on the card.
Used that up in UK, and then swapped to my Norwegian one....phone for a fiver can't be bad.

Good thing about our provider here....you can have 2 sims with the same number....so 1 in each phone :)

How did they fit the MFD 1?
Lots of threads on here about cutting and welding to get a double din to fit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, thanks for the replies so far. I intend to but a European spec camper, so I may try to buy one with these options factory fitted.
I used to own a 1992 Subaru Legacy Turbo and I always liked the old standard equipment fitted. I would love a brand new VW T6 Cali but all I can probably stretch to financially is a T4 Cali. So I want to buy the best I can.
I know the phone kit is old, but it works and I have some old nokia 6310i's so it isn't a problem
I know the sat nav is old, but it works, with the last update in 2014 I believe, which isn't too long ago.
The satnav could also be used for watchin dvd's and tv.

Regards Padraic.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My old Left hand drive t4 had an MFD1 installed, the dash is different to the single DIN vehicles, it had a different cross member from the factory.

For their age, they are pretty good units, and were also fitted to other VAG vehicles so there are a few about used. They can't play CDs though...but do have an aux in for an MP3 player and the like. The cd slot is for the nav disk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My old Left hand drive t4 had an MFD1 installed, the dash is different to the single DIN vehicles, it had a different cross member from the factory.

For their age, they are pretty good units, and were also fitted to other VAG vehicles so there are a few about used. They can't play CDs though...but do have an aux in for an MP3 player and the like. The cd slot is for the nav disk.
Cheers for the info, yes I believe they were very good units, from what I understand the wee also matched with a 6 disc cd changer.
I have sen some newer cables for sale on ebay that may allow the MFD1 the mimic the screen of an Ipod or Iphone an display music or video from it.
I have also seen some references to a tv tuner or dvd player also being compatible with the MFD1

Regards Padraic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts