VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a set of the older style T4 steel wheels with the square holes and would like to know what is the max size tyre I can fit to them? Thank you

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,345 Posts
What size are the wheels?
15 inch by ??
Width will determine tyre size....just make sure you get correct load rated ones. (Should be on the door jam/frame or fuse box lid.)
As WF says, if they were the std wheels, you will get the info.
Otherwise, "normally" the size is stamped on steel rims.

MAX tyre size will depend upon clearances in the arches.

Note that if you go for higher sidewall ones, it will throw the speedo reading out (and change the gearing)

Read through some of the threads about what other people have "got away with"....especially on a synchro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size are the wheels?
15 inch by ??
Width will determine tyre size....just make sure you get correct load rated ones. (Should be on the door jam/frame or fuse box lid.)
As WF says, if they were the std wheels, you will get the info.
Otherwise, "normally" the size is stamped on steel rims.

MAX tyre size will depend upon clearances in the arches.

Note that if you go for higher sidewall ones, it will throw the speedo reading out (and change the gearing)

Read through some of the threads about what other people have "got away with"....especially on a synchro.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've runt 225/70/15 (mk5 Transit) tyres on earlier t4 steel wheels, sorta comfy but didn't like corners - sorta obvious realy as a 2 ton van on van tyres is no racecar 😁

Rich.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Normally 6 inch rims shouldn't really have wider than 205 tyres, and 6.5 iinch 215 size. Bigger will fit, but the sidewalls will squirm and start to deform under cornering and traction can break, sometimes suddenly. If the van isn't dropped then it's doubtful you'll have any problems with clearance on the wheel arch as those are pretty safe and conservative sizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts